USG passes resolution to submit comment to Department of Education in response to proposed Title IX legislation

Kila Moore, News Editor

Last November, U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy Devos announced a series of proposed regulations under Title IX, the federal law prohibiting sex discrimination within educational institutions. According to Devos, the new provisions will provide “clear policies and fair processes” in cases of sexual misconduct. Campus organizations, such as Tulane’s Undergraduate Student Government, disagree.

On Tuesday, Jan. 22, USG unanimously passed a resolution to submit a comment on behalf of the organization to the U.S. Department of Education on the proposed Title IX regulations. The comment, according to the resolution, would allow USG to voice its concerns about the new regulations’ affect on Tulane students as well as students at other universities.

Allison Foster, USG director of student health and wellness, co-wrote the resolution with USG President Erin Blake. Foster says since the climate survey results, many organizations have created initiatives in order to prevent sexual violence, and they felt compelled to reiterate the importance of preserving them.

“These programs and advocacy work all center around the guarantee of protection against gender-based harassment and discrimination provided to all students via Title IX,” Foster said. “So when the U.S. Department of Education and Secretary DeVos proposed changes to Title IX that rolled back many of these guaranteed protections, it seemed only fitting for USG to respond on behalf of the student body.”

Foster says they hope the letter will serve as reminder to Tulane on the importance of protecting students.

“Regardless of the outcome of these proposed changes nationally via the Department of Education, we hope to use this letter to prove the importance of guaranteeing the rights of sexual assault survivors on our campus, and urge campus administrators to maintain the evidentiary standards, off-campus coverage, and much more that they do now that ensures the safety, physical health and mental health of our community at Tulane,” Foster said.

USG plans to submit the comment before the public commenting period for the legislation closes Jan. 30. Foster encourages all students to sign the letter.

‘This is a constant, but important, fight — Tulane is only great when all of its members are safe and supported,” Foster said.

Students can view and sign the letter here or submit their own letters online. For more information regarding sexual violence prevention and Title IX, visit allin.tulane.edu.