Goat to try it: Tulane to host free yoga class

Grace Yang, Staff Reporter

Ashley Chen | Layout Editor

If you like staying limber and yearn for the simplicity of farm life, Campus Recreation has the activity for you. On April 18, Campus Recreation will be hosting Twilight Goat Yoga. No, this does not mean you should pull out your Team Jacob or Team Edward merch, but do bring a yoga mat, towel, water bottle and your affection for these precious animals.

As anyone would wonder, why do goats and yoga work so well together? Practicing yoga increases strength and flexibility and decreases stress hormone levels, improving mental wellbeing. But the health benefits don’t stop there, as goat yoga is also a form of animal-assisted therapy. Studies have found that spending time interacting with animals, or even just watching them, has both physical and mental health benefits such as lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels, reducing anxiety and depression, and more. Both are beneficial to the mind and body.

Lainey Morse introduced the viral practice of goat yoga. Morse was diagnosed with Sjogren’s syndrome, an autoimmune disease. As the owner of Nigerian dwarf and Boer goats, she discovered that their presence improved her mood. Though this did not directly cure her disease, it had a positive influence on her overall health by improving her immune system. She then decided to host events where participants could interact with her goats to gain the same positive impact that they brought to her. It was when a guest at one of Morse’s events asked to host a yoga class at Morse’s goat fields that Goat Yoga was born.

Here’s what to expect: The goats will be wandering around, but they may try to hang out on your mat, snuggle up next to you or even climb onto your back as you rock a plank position. These adorable animals are the perfect complement to the mindful movement of yoga. One might not expect goats to be very social, but they are surprisingly very cuddly and joyous animals. They are cheerful and calming, further enhancing the therapeutic effects of yoga.

Whether you are a yogi looking for some extra practice, or someone at the beginner level who loves to hang out with animals, this is the perfect event for you. And, of course, the cute goats are a great excuse for a Instagram post. The event will take place from 6-7 p.m. on the Berger Family Lawn. Come out, enjoy the sunset, de-stress and recharge with adorable baby goats!

The class is weather-dependent, so make sure to check the Campus Rec website or app for updates.