NOLA News in Brief

Tate Weston, Contributing Reporter

As the first month of the fall semester comes to a close and Tulane students reluctantly trickle into the library in preparation for midterms, the city of New Orleans celebrates Lonzo Ball’s addition to the Pelicans, a resident’s 110th birthday, fried chicken and more. 

In a big preseason score for the New Orleans Pelicans, Lonzo Ball will be joining the roster. The deal, which involved several trades, means that the Pelicans will now be adding three players from the Los Angeles Lakers. Joining Ball are his former Laker teammates Brandon Ingram and Josh Hart. The group is reportedly pleased with the trade and excited to No. 1 overall Pelicans draft choice Zion Williamson.

Lawrence Brooks, a New Orleans resident and the oldest living World War II survivor, recently celebrated his 110th birthday. Brooks celebrated his birthday at the National World War II Museum in New Orleans where museum president Stephen Watson commemorated his service with the introduction of an exhibit honoring Brooks. Brooks served in the majority African American 91st Engineer Battalion stationed in New Guinea and the Philippines. 

The annual NOLA Fried Chicken festival, which ran from Sept. 20-22, kicked off with a bang this weekend. People from around the world attended the festival to celebrate the classic Louisiana dish. This year, the festival introduced several new booths featuring everything from a modernized fried chicken filet to the classic fried chicken breast. The festival showcased many venues and encouraged buying local. 

In a bizarre encounter last Thursday, a Florida woman bit a camel’s testicles after it sat on her at the Tiger Truck Stop in Grosse Tete, Louisiana. The woman threw dog treats under the camel’s pen while stopping at the truck stop, known for keeping exotic animals on-site. After her dog crawled into the pen, she followed and found herself beneath Caspar the Camel. She bit his testicles to ward him off and Iberville Parish police found her guilty of criminal trespassing and in violation of Louisiana’s leash law. Caspar is on precautionary antibiotics but is reportedly OK.