Tulane will know your name: Athletics inducts 5 people, 1 team into Green Wave Hall of Fame

Owen Scher, Staff Reporter

Tulane Athletics is inviting the public to attend the 2019 Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Oct. 11. The event will be held at the Avron B. Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse, and tickets are available for $20. Besides the inductees, current Tulane coaches and Hall of Famers will be in attendance.

The ceremony begins at 6 p.m., with a preceding cocktail hour at 5 p.m. The Master of Ceremonies will be Andrew Allegretta, Tulane’s director of broadcasting, also known as the “Voice of the Green Wave.” 

The event will include the induction of the 2019 Hall of Fame class as well as the presentation of the Billy Slatten Award, given to a Tulane affiliate who has shown extraordinary support and commitment to Tulane and its student athletes. 

The recipient of the award this year is well-known Times-Picayune columnist and Tulane alumnus Angus Lind, who recently retired from journalism.

Green Wave assistant baseball coach Daniel Latham, who played for Tulane between 2004-07, will also be honored at the event. Despite a decade passing since his playing days at Tulane, Lantham remains the baseball program’s all-time save leader.

Greg Stewart, who has worked as a physician with Athletics since 1987, will be honored for his work in sports medicine, which has won him national acclaim. Stewart specializes in the non-operative treatment of musculoskeletal disorders in adults.

In addition to Stewart and Latham, two All-American athletes will be presented with awards. Maribel Lopez Porras, who was on the women’s golf team between 2009-13, was named an All-American twice during her time at Tulane, while Ed Mikkelsen, who played football between 1971-74, received the honor once. 

Along with these outstanding individuals, the Tulane 1996-97 women’s basketball team will be enshrined in the hall as a team. The team broke the school’s single season win record and claimed the program’s first NCAA tournament win. 

Two-time all-conference honoree Gwen Slaughter, who played basketball between 1999-2003, will also be honored. 

The event promises to be an exciting time featuring some of Tulane’s most decorated and accomplished athletes. It’s an impressive class, and the program should be an enjoyable way to spend a Friday night.