‘Spilling the tea on mental health’: USG mental health awareness

Charlotte Block, Contributing Reporter

Tulane University’s Undergraduate Student Government’s Public Health committee hosted a mental health awareness event called “Spilling the Tea on Mental Health” in the Caroline Richardson Building on Friday, Oct. 3. 

The event gave students the opportunity to de-stress before their midterm exams. Students could make herbal tea, create their own stress-relieving balls, color in mandalas and even get a professional massage. 

Campus partners were present to educate students on ways to take advantage of mental health services on campus such as CAPS for Counseling Services and the types of consultations they offer.  

“We figured that it was essential for freshmen to know about all the mental health services that are on campus because it’s such a crucial time for them adjusting to college life, ” Ingeborg Hyde, president of USG Public Health, said. “There’s so many resources on campus we have group therapies to one-on-one sessions they’re free to and available for all students. Don’t be afraid to reach out to them.” 

USG Public Health consists of undergraduate public health majors looking to spread awareness to students on health issues. Previous USG Public Health events have included a public health week with guest dietitians, screenings of health-related documentaries and sex education discussions. 

“We have events all throughout the year, so just be on the lookout,” USG Public Health freshman representative Grace Riley said. “We share information on our Facebook and Instagram pages as well.”

Students are also encouraged to look over The Well for Health Promotion’s website. The site offers facts and tips for common issues facing college students like sleep, stress, sexual health, and even safety.  

Interested students can check out USG Public Health’s Facebook for updates on upcoming events.