A life of advocacy: TUCP hosts Temple Grandin

Avery Anderson, Arcade Editor

Animal scientist and autism advocate Temple Grandin will take the stage Feb. 3 for a talk and Q&A hosted by Tulane University Campus Programming. Held in Kendall Cram Lecture Hall from 7-8:30 p.m., the free event gives audience members the chance to learn from and be moved by Grandin’s testimony. 

Naomi Smith | Associate Artist

Born in 1947, Grandin has spent her life raising awareness about the pressures and challenges autistic people face in addition to pursuing a Ph.D. in animal science. When Grandin was diagnosed with autism at the age of two, her parents sought out first-rate therapy and care options, helping Grandin find her voice. She started to talk around the age of four, steadily developing her social and verbal skills throughout high school. 

Though she was made fun of for her speech patterns, Grandin excelled academically. After graduating from Franklin Pierce College with a psychology degree, she went on to pursue master’s and doctoral degrees in animal science. Grandin used her degrees to better the lives of animals, working in conjunction with meat producers and offering her guidance as a consultant.

After an appearance in Oliver Sacks’ book “An Anthropologist on Mars,” Grandin entered the public eye. Grandin’s “high-functioning” autism has given her a distinctive perspective she uses to raise awareness nationwide as she relays her personal experiences. Grandin rejects the notion of a “comprehensive cure for autism,” promoting a nuanced approach to treatment and encouraging others to value neurodiversity.

Grandin has received broad recognition for her work. Not only is she the recipient of multiple academic honors, but her influence has also extended into the entertainment sphere. In the HBO filmTemple Grandin,” Claire Danes portrayed Grandin to great acclaim. The film was awarded one Golden Globe and six Emmys, further cementing the wide reach of Grandin’s legacy and advocacy work.

Hear a legend share her life and legacy next Monday night by RSVPing at https://tulane.campuslabs.com/engage/event/5397749.