Women’s tennis hopes to save season in remaining matches

tennis

Photo courtesy of Parker Waters

Senior Laura Fabrizi hits the ball.

Abe Seldowitz, Staff Reporter

Here’s the update you’ve all been waiting for on how the Green Wave women’s tennis team has been doing recently. 

On Sunday, Feb. 23, the team lost a match against the University of Texas, Arlington. The team dug itself into a hole when doubles started, allowing UTA to take a 1-0 lead in singles. UTA was able to carry the momentum to the tune of straight-set wins on courts two and six. The Green Wave got a boost from No. 101-ranked Mackenzie Clark, but it was not enough, as the Green Wave fell by a score of 4-2.

When Tulane faced off against No. 25 UCF, it was the first time the Green Wave had faced a ranked opponent this season. Tulane allowed the Knights to get an early lead. UCF compiled three consecutive straight-set wins to make the advantage 5-0. Tulane freshman Lahari Yelamanchilli won the second set by a score of 6-4, but it was not enough, as the Knights held on for an 11-9 victory.

Once again, Tulane came up short against the Old Dominion Monarchs. The Green Wave went into the match with a 6-7 record while the Monarchs held a 9-2 record. Clark and junior Lauren Gish were able to get an early 5-3 lead. While Old Dominion was able to get the victory, Yelamanchili and senior Christina Sisti battled from a substantial 4-1 deficit to make it a close finish at 5-4. Old Dominion went on to win the next game and clinched doubles to take a 1-0 lead in the overall match. 

Given the team’s rough stretch of late, the Green Wave is hoping to avenge its recent losses at its next match coming up against Jackson State on Thursday, March 5, at 2:30 p.m.