Student residence halls to be used for medical personnel

Gabby Abrams, News Editor

Since the first case of the novel coronavirus was detected in Louisiana on March 9, the number of cases in the state has skyrocketed above 10,000, more than 1,000 patients hospitalized. New Orleans has been the epicenter of the pandemic in the state, leading to an influx of relief workers coming in to aid the city.

In response to the crisis, Tulane President Mike Fitts announced that the university’s vacant residence halls will be available to house health care workers. The university is providing 345 beds throughout the Greenbaum, Mayer and Josephine Louise Residence Halls. These three residence halls were chosen because they are located away from the center of campus where the remaining 230 Tulane students on campus are living. 

The housing spaces are designated for “a big influx of volunteers or medical personnel from out of state,” Brian Johnson, assistant vice president for Housing and Residence Life and Campus Recreation at Tulane, said. “Space is also available for Tulane clinicians or medical staff should they require it.” 

Additionally, medical personnel are provided free access to the buildings’ laundry rooms as well as complimentary linens and pillows. The double rooms will be used as singles and, each person will have access to a personal bathroom and mini fridge. The university is also prepared to offer a shuttle from Tulane’s campus to the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, where 1,000 beds are available for those who have tested positive for COVID-19 but who are not in critical condition. Tulane Dining Services is contributing to the effort by providing 700 boxed meals per day to medical professionals.