Arcade’s guide to October events

Meredith Abdelnour, Arcade Editor

October 2020 drawn in orange lettering
Calendar looking a little empty? Arcade has you covered with our list of events! (Emma Vaughters)

It’s fall in New Orleans, and though this season might look a little different, there are still plenty of exciting activities to do this October. Check out Arcade’s picks for fun events on campus and around town.

Movie Night in the LBC

Oct. 3, 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.

If you’re looking for a safe and free alternative to the movie theater experience, go to Movie Night at the Lavin-Bernick Center for University Life, where you can relax on the Rosenberg Mezzanine and watch some new releases. This weekend’s film is “Sonic the Hedgehog,” and tickets are available here.

Yellow House Painting

Oct. 9, pick-up from 7 p.m. to midnight.

Whether you’re a talented artist or just getting started, this event will be fun for all skill levels. Participants will receive a painting kit and can create a unique work of art on their own time. Sign up to pick up a kit here.

Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival

Oct. 16-18

The 2020 Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival will be held virtually this year, using the Festing In Place model, where WWOZ 90.7 FM will stream live performances from past festivals. Featuring artists like The Funky Meters, Samantha Fish and Bobby Rush, this festival will be a blast no matter where you’re streaming from.

Bachelorette Tuesdays

Oct. 13, 20, 27, 6:30 p.m.

Everyone’s favorite reality television show is back! Students can either watch the new season of “The Bachelorette” from home and swing by for a pre-show giveaway starting at 6:30 p.m., or reserve a spot in the Nalty Commons to watch live and enjoy guaranteed giveaways.

2020 Arons Poet: Layli Long Soldier

Oct. 19, 6:30 p.m.

Layli Long Soldier is an Oglala Lakota poet and professor. She has work featured in “POETRY Magazine,” “The New York Times,” and “The Kenyon Review Online.” Register here to reserve your spot in this engaging webinar.

Pumpkin Carving

Oct. 23, pick-up from 7 p.m. to midnight

This event will be sure to get you in the Halloween spirit. Get tickets here to pick up a pumpkin carving kit and carve a fun decoration for the fall season.

French Quarter Walking Tours

Thursday-Sundays

New Orleans is a unique city, and this walking tour is the perfect way to get outside of the Tulane bubble. With special rates for October making tickets only $10 for students, there’s never been a better time to go explore. Tours will be socially distant with masks required for all participants.

Pop-up Flea Market

October 24, 12 p.m.-8 p.m.

There’s never been a better time to support small businesses and local artists, and this pop-up flea market on Hollygrove Street gives you the perfect opportunity.