Tulane’s annual fundraising concert to be streamed

Mercedes Ohlen, Contributing Writer

Virtual Concert photo and graphic
This year’s concert can be streamed October 15 at 8 p.m. CDT.         (Josh Jessiman, Emma Vaughters)

Tulane’s annual fundraising concert, The Tipping Point, will be virtual this year amidst the ongoing social distancing guidelines in place to keep the community safe. Produced by UpperWest Music Group, the homecoming event’s proceeds will go towards providing student scholarship support.

The lineup this year consists of artists like PJ Morton, Jolynda Kiki Chapman and Tony Hall, as well as a number of other prominent musicians. The artists will be socially distanced on the stage which will also have plexiglass barriers. Along with following social distancing guidelines, the artists get daily temperature checks, and a COVID-19 compliance officer is on hand to ensure all protocols are being followed at all times.

“The artists were thankful to be doing what they do, and everyone knew that although the situation wasn’t perfect, we were lucky to be playing music and putting on a show,” said Luann Dozier, the vice president for advancement at Tulane, who works with UpperWest Music Group to annually put on the concert.

The concert will feature a number of special guests including journalist and television presenter Hoda Kotb, actor John Goodman and Tulane professor Walter Isaacson, in addition to the artists performing at the event.

“We wanted to celebrate the city of New Orleans, Tulane University and the great musical talent the city is known for in addition to limiting the amount of people travelling due to the pandemic,” Dozier said.

Without a crowd, the group behind the concert found a way to let fans not only livestream in, but also be featured with the “Fans Cam,” which will allow for fans to be seen by all who are watching the stream.

“This year’s [virtual] show will benefit the viewers by not missing a year and bringing a little bit of NOLA spirit into their homes,” Dozier said. “We are grateful to Tulane University, the entire Tulane Family, our Music Director Eric Krasno and all the guest artists for participating and for making this show happen!”

The event will be streaming live from The Fillmore New Orleans starting at 8 p.m. CDT on Thursday, Oct. 15. Fans can access the concert on FANS.LIVE.