Tulane establishes Louisiana Promise Program

Caroline Latta, Contributing Reporter

Emma Schneider

On Nov. 12, President Michael Fitts announced the creation of the Louisiana Promise program, a new initiative created to make Tulane University a more accessible option for Louisiana students from low- and middle-income families. 

“The overall program has three components that will include a financial aid commitment to admitted Louisiana students, full funding for 50 students to attend a summer residential pre-college prep program, and the establishment of an on-campus college prep center,” Satyajit Dattagupta, vice president for enrollment management and dean of admission, said. 

This program begins with students admitted for fall of 2021. 

“Admitted students for Fall of 2021 will be eligible for Louisiana Promise Financial Awards,” Dattagupta said. “These awards will meet full financial need, without loans, for Louisiana high school graduates who have been admitted to Tulane as fall first-time, full-time freshmen, whose families make less than $100,000 and who meet other program requirements.” 

Additionally, the Louisiana Promise Program includes funding for 50 students to attend a college prep residential summer program. The summer classes will be two weeks long and residential, preparing students for the university admissions process, with assistance from student representatives, Admissions counselors, and other Tulane affiliates. 

The Louisiana Promise program also includes the creation of a college prep center on campus is intended to encourage New Orleans residents to use Tulane as a community resource, for college success and other endeavors. 

“The center will provide college access services to students from the New Orleans community,” said Dattagupta. “Open to those beginning their freshman year of high school, the center will assist aspiring first-generation college students and others who don’t have access to well-resourced college counseling programs.”