Antonio Milton: Tulane Law Review’s first Black Editor-in-Chief

Courtesy of Antonio Milton

Antonio Milton will be the first Black editor-in-chief of the Tulane Law Review.

Sophie Brams, Staff Reporter

Nearly six decades after the first Black student graduated from Tulane Law School, the Tulane Law Review has named its first Black editor-in-chief, Antonio Milton. 

Milton, a second year Law student from Carenco, Louisiana, takes over the journal fall 2021 and will oversee the 50-plus-member publication. 

“I just felt overwhelmed with happiness, joy and a rush of determination to do the best job possible,” Milton said.

Milton, only the 10th Black member in the journal’s history, said the significance of his appointment is not lost on him.

“I think it’s incredibly significant to build bridges for future generations of law students of color,” Milton said.

A law review is a graduate law student-run journal that publishes articles written by legal professionals of different careers, typically with a focus on cutting edge issues. Founded in 1916, the Tulane Law Review specializes in Civil Law, Comparative Law and Maritime Law. Membership to the journal is chosen mostly by grades, although a handful of members each year are accepted through blind writing submissions

Under the leadership of Milton, the journal will feature more diverse voices, which he indicated was a priority. 

“We’re thinking about dedicating some spaces in our next few issues to some diverse voices speaking on some topics, which we may have had a few articles in the past, but not perhaps an entire issue within our volume,” Milton said. 

Another top priority for Milton is managing the mental health and well-being of the Review’s writers, especially in the COVID-19 era. Each year, the journal receives around 1,500 submissions for 25 available slots, which members must sift through, all while juggling the normal demands of law school. 

“It is something that takes a lot of time and I want to respect all the time and effort that everyone puts in,” Milton said. “This year the culture of our journal has been sapped at times by COVID and the lack of ability to connect in typical ways.” 

“He’s incredibly talented, and his new position as Editor-in-Chief is a well-deserved recognition for his accomplishments and hard work on the journal,” said faculty advisor Ronald Scalise Jr. “I have no doubt that he will continue the history of outstanding leadership of the journal, and I’m excited to have the opportunity to work with him.”