Palacios sets record low as women’s golf rolls

Jude Papillion, Sports Editor

The Tulane women’s golf team has completed their first three tournaments of the season, finishing in ninth place in the Lamkin Invitational, fifth place in the Lake Oconee Invitational and third place in the Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate. The team has three tournaments remaining in the regular season before the American Athletic Conference Championship in late April. After the abrupt end to their 2019-20 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the team returned five golfers and added three new ones. 

Jennifer Rosenberg finished the All State Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate tied for tenth with 10-over 226. (Parker Waters)

The Green Wave began their season on Feb. 8 in Rancho Santa Fe, California, at the Lamkin Invitational on The Farms Golf Club, placing ninth in the tournament with a total score of 93-over 957. Carlota Palacios finished with a score of 13-over 229 at the end of the tournament after posting a score of even-par 72 in the final round and making six birdies throughout the tournament to place tied for 18th in the tournament. Jennifer Rosenberg finished the tournament tied for 25th place, posting 5-over 77 in all three rounds. The University of Southern California won the tournament with a score of 16-over 880, followed by Texas Christian University and UCLA in second place with 40-over 904. USC’s Allisen Corpuz won the individual title, posting a 2-under 214.

On the weekend of Feb. 19, the Olive and Blue traveled to Greensboro, Georgia, for the Lake Oconee Invitational. The Green Wave placed fifth in the tournament, with a team score of 47-over 911. Palacios led the Green Wave again, finishing second individually in the tournament with a score of 3-over 219. In the first round, Palacios posted a 2-over 74 in the first round, before posting her season best, a 1-under 71 in the second round. Palacios finished the tournament with a 2-over 74 in round three and posted 10 total birdies in the tournament. The University of North Florida won the tournament at 34-over 898, and Old Dominion University followed in second posting a 36-over 900. Mercer University’s Payton Schanen won the individual title, posting 1-over 217. 

Sophomore Carlota Palacios tees off at the All State Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate. (Parker Waters)

From March 14-16, the Green Wave hosted and competed in the 2021 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate at English Turn Golf and Country Club in New Orleans, finishing third in the tournament with a score of 900 in three rounds. Palacios dominated in the third round, posting a school-record low round at 64 and finishing the tournament in second place individually with an even-par 216. Rosenberg and freshman Daozeng “Cleo” Liu placed tied for 10th in the tournament with scores of 10-over 226. University of Nebraska took the team title with a score of 20-over 884, followed by Texas State University at 27-over 891. Nebraska’s Kate Smith won the individual crown with a score of 1-under 215.

On March 19, Tulane Golf will travel to Saddlebrook, Arizona, for the Mountain View Collegiate. The Green Wave will then finish the regular season in Texas, first in The Bruzzy in Argyle, Texas, on March 29 and 30, before traveling to Houston for the Houston Oaks Invitational. Following the regular season, the team will compete in the American Athletic Championship at Pinehurst Resort No. 6 starting on April 18.