Moon Ursin joins Tulane women’s basketball as graduate transfer

Matthew Tate

Graduate transfer Moon Ursin joins the Tulane women’s basketball team after an impressive four-year career at Baylor that included an NCAA title and All-Big 12 honors.

Jude Papillion, Sports Editor

Louisiana native Moon Ursin joined the Tulane University women’s basketball team as a graduate transfer, the team announced on Monday

A 5-foot-6-inch guard, Ursin’s arrival at Tulane comes after a four-year stint at Baylor University where she started all 31 games in the 2020-21 season, averaging 12.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game. Ursin also received second team All-Big 12 Conference honors last season and was previously selected to the Big 12 All-Rookie team in 2018.

Baylor went 126-8 during her time there, with Ursin seeing action in 127 of those games, scoring 777 career points and helping the Bears win an NCAA title during her sophomore season. In addition, Ursin helped lead the Bears to four regular season Big 12 Championships and three Big 12 tournament championships. Last season, Baylor and Ursin made it to the Elite Eight where the Bears fell to top-seeded University of Connecticut. 

Ursin is just as impressive in the classroom as she is on the court, earning first-team Academic All-Big 12 honors in 2019, 2020 and 2021, and she was selected to the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll five times. 

Ursin was coached by legendary coach Kim Mulkey at Baylor. After Mulkey left Baylor to take the head coaching job at LSU, Ursin transferred to LSU, but then re-entered the transfer portal before making many appearances for the Tigers and transferring to Tulane. 

The Louisiana native was a phenom in high school; the first player to be recognized as a Gatorade Player of the Year in Louisiana three times, and she was also recognized twice as Miss Basketball for Louisiana. At Destrehan High School, she was a three-time District 7-5A MVP, Defensive Player of the Year and was selected first team All-State three times. In 2017, Ursin led the Wildcats to a 35-0 record and a Class 5A State Championship. She completed her high school career with 2,901 points and with a 121-8 career record. 

“We could not be more excited to welcome Louisiana native, Moon Ursin to our program. Her versatility and athleticism will be great assets to our team and will elevate our level of play,” head coach Lisa Stockston said. “Our Green Wave fans will enjoy watching this dynamic guard.”