Electrical house fire displaces Tulane students

Canela Lopez, News Editor

An electrical house fire occurred at 7:10 p.m. Monday night at 2119 Calhoun Street which spread to 2121 Calhoun Street. 

The fire was reported to New Orleans Fire Department at 7:20 p.m. by residents of the house. The reporting student said she heard an explosion in the basement and saw smoke so she fled the house and called 911. 

Four Tulane students live in 2119 Calhoun Street, which was severely damaged. Two non-affiliates live in 2121 Calhoun Street, which was moderately damaged by the fire on one side.

No residents were injured in the fire. NOFD was able to rescue the students’ rabbit from inside the burning residence. 

According to Brian Johnson, Assistant Vice President of Housing and Residential Life, HRL is currently working to find emergency housing for the displaced students. 

“The university is assisting the students,” Johnson said. “Specifically, [Student Resources and Support Services] and HRL are working on a plan for them as they recover from this situation. Thankfully, everyone is safe.”

Leave a Comment