Tulane releases statement on death of two students over winter break

Old Photo

A medical School employee shot himself on Tulane’s downtown campus on Friday morning, police say.

On Jan. 7, President Mike Fitts notified students of two student deaths. Kyra Ray and Brandon Moorman were both undergraduate students at Tulane University. Fitts stated that Tulane was notified about both deaths earlier in the week. 

Zachary Schultz, Breaking News Editor

Moorman died on Christmas Eve at his home in Huntsville/Birmingham, Alabama. Although Moorman’s cause of death was not disclosed, Fitts stated that Ray died as a result of being involved in a fatal car accident in Oklahoma while driving back to New Orleans for the spring semester. 

Moorman, a junior at Tulane, was majoring in finance and economics. At the time of her death, Ray was nearing the completion of her degree in chemistry.

A memorial service was held in Moorman’s honor in Homewood, Alabama, on Dec. 30. A celebration-of-life ceremony will be held in Ray’s honor, although the date has not yet been set. Fitts encouraged students looking for information about the event to contact the Dean of Students, Erica Woodley

For those in New Orleans, counseling is available for students 24/7 through The Line at 504-264-6074. 

Students may also contact Case Management 24/7 at 504-920-9900. Staff at The Counseling Center, 504-314-2277 and Case Management, 504-314-2160 will be available between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. 

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available for faculty and staff seeking counseling or support. Information about EAP can be found here.