Inaugural HBCU Legacy Game held at Yulman Stadium

Jude Papillion, Sports Editor

Team Robinson looks to get on the board against Team Gaither in the 2022 HBCU Legacy Bowl. (Jude Papillion)

The inaugural HBCU Legacy Game was held at Yulman Stadium on the campus of Tulane University on Feb. 19. The game, presented by the Black College Football Hall of Fame, showcased the top NFL draft prospects from Historically Black Colleges and Universities and was nationally televised on the NFL Network. 

Team Gaither beat Team Robinson 22-6 in the contest. Team Gaither is named in honor of Jake Gaither, head coach of the Florida A&M Rattlers for 25 years, while Team Robinson is named in honor of Eddie Robinson, Grambling State University’s head coach for 56 years. Both Gaither and Robinson are in the College Football Hall of Fame. 

Quarterback Geremy Hickbottom of Tennessee State University was named offensive MVP of the game, finishing nine for 15 along with 72 yards in the air, while scoring a touchdown and scampering for 26 yards on five touches on the ground. Florida A&M University’s Antwan Collier earned defensive MVP after finishing with nine tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss. 

Team Gaither outgained Team Robinson 344 yards to 136 yards in the game, and Gaither’s three quarterbacks scored one touchdown, totaled for 253 yards and went 27 of 42 on passing attempts.

Not a single HBCU player was selected in last year’s NFL Draft. The HBCU Legacy Game sought to bring more attention to football players from historically Black universities by giving them the opportunity to perform on a national stage.

The event kicked off with a pregame performance by New Orleans’ St. Augustine High School Marching Band, followed by a coin toss with honorary captain and 2018 AP NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes. The Grambling State University Tiger Marching Band highlighted the festivities with a halftime performance.