Tulane baseball poised to reclaim spot among top 25

Jake Blancher, Associate Sports Editor

Tulane RHP Michael Massey throws a pitch in Sunday’s contest against Villanova. (Parker Waters)

Hosting the Villanova Wildcats this past weekend on Greer Field at Turchin Stadium, our Tulane Green Wave Baseball team tallied two wins and a draw, extending their record to 13-7-1. 

Villanova’s success on the basketball court on Friday, March 18 didn’t translate to the diamond, as Tulane’s pitching dominated for all nine innings, not allowing a single earned run. 

Grant Siegel first took the rubber, averaging a strikeout for each of seven innings he pitched. Lane Thomas and Zach Devito cruised through the remaining two innings, as the latter marked his fourth save of the season, allowing just one hit over the six outs.

At the plate, freshman first baseman Brady Marget scored on a wild pitch in the fourth inning, tying the game at 1. Three innings later, Jared Hart and Trevor Minder each recorded an RBI to give the Green Wave a two-run lead, which was all they needed to secure the victory.

On Saturday, Tulane extended their winning streak to three as they dominated at the plate in a 12-2 victory. Surprisingly, none of the dozen runs were the result of a home run; rather, the team strung together multiple series of base hits, with seven hitters recording RBIs.

Transferring from the defending College World Series champions Mississippi State — who Tulane took two of three from earlier this month —  sophomore pitcher Dylan Carmouche logged 6.2 productive innings, allowing just two earned runs on five hits and recording 10 strikeouts along the way.

The final game of the series finished anticlimactically, as the Green Wave and Wildcats tied by a 3-3 score. Villanova jumped out to an early 2-0 lead thanks to RBI base hits by DH John Wooley and catcher Will Reiner. Tulane responded quickly with a pair of runs of their own, courtesy of a two-run single by corner infielder Simon Baumguardt

Tulane briefly took a lead in the fifth inning when Wildcat pitcher Danny Wilkinson walked Marget with the bases loaded, scoring Minder. Two innings later, Joey Castellanos singled, driving in the final run of the game which ended in a 3-3 tie. 

Tulane failed to capitalize on a two-on one-out opportunity in the bottom of the eighth to go ahead, with the remainder of the game uneventful.

Our Green Wave has a four-game homestand, so be sure to head down to Greer Field to cheer us back into the national rankings.