Tulane entrepreneurship hub to launch late 2022

Rohan Goswami, News Editor

The Tulane Innovation Institute will begin operations by the end of 2022. (Gabe Darley)

Tulane University announced on the morning of Wednesday, April 13 the imminent opening of an in-house technology and startup accelerator, the Tulane Innovation Institute, which will begin operations by the end of 2022.

In a press release, Tulane announced the first priority for the Institute was to provide “proof-of-concept and early-stage startup gap funding for aspiring entrepreneurs and promising technologies.”

Robert ‘69 and Kikie Priddy, through the Priddy Family Foundation, were the lead donors for the Robert L. Priddy Innovation Lab. 

The Priddy family have provided millions in prior support to the university — including a $1 million gift to the Tulane University Center for Brain Health in 2021 and another $1 million gift in 2018 for the Tulane Brain Institute. 

David ‘85 and Marion Mussafer, the lead donors for Mussafer Hall, established the David and Marion Innovation Funds. Their gift, the press release said, will support the institute “from programming and staff support to mentoring, marketing, and startup and proof-of-concept funding.”

The director of the institute will hold the title of David and Marion Mussafer Chief Innovation and Entrepreneurship Officer. Tulane anticipates filling that role imminently, stating that a “national search” is nearly complete.

Other significant donors include Tulane board member David ‘00 and Stephanie Barksdale, board member Carol Bernick ‘74 and Jeffrey ‘89 and Amy Silverman.

Walter Isaacson, board member and the Leonard Lauder Professor of American History and Values, and his wife Cathy, vice chair of The Idea Village, also provided support for the institute.