What’s new at the LBC food court?

Olivia Warren and Sophie Borislow

Shivani Bondada

The new academic year at Tulane has brought some welcome and not-so-welcome dining changes. Tulane revealed new dining options at the Lavin-Bernick Center for University Life, along with the virtual dining program, the Everyday app. Some classics, such as Rollin’ n Bowlin’ and Star Ginger remain, but Tulane experienced a loss of Freshens and Pickles.

Halal Shack

The Halal Shack comes from the shores of the East and West Coasts to Tulane this fall. According to their official website, Jamal Rasoully, a first-generation Afghan-American, started The Halal Shack to bring people of all backgrounds together through food. They source their food from humane and local sources. 

Mixing New York City street food with Afghan cuisine, The Halal Shack is bringing exciting new flavors to the LBC. Rasoully has even earned The New York Times’ recognition for his special Spin Sauce. 

Tulane is the newest addition to 19 colleges housing The Halal Shack. 

Poke Bar from Wild Blue

The Wild Blue Sushi bar has expanded into a separate poke bar in which students can create their own poke bowls from a selection of ingredients. Wild Blue Sushi continues to pledge their sustainability, as well as their promise to never include MSG or artificial additives into their rolls. The poke bar consists of their California-grown rice, along with vegetable and seafood additions.

Rollin’ n Bowlin’

Finally, the popular Le Gourmet ft. Rollin’ n Bowlin’ is no more, as the shop moved into the LBC, replacing Freshens. However, the ability to utilize Meal Swipes has been terminated, raising concerns among students.

“I think they should go back to meal swipes immediately,” sophomore Ellora Ahuja said. 

For example, two slices of avocado toast cost just under $11. Something that used to be covered by a single Meal Swipe now will use students’ limited WaveBucks.

Virtual Dining

The new virtual dining program, known as the Everyday app, is being integrated into Tulane as the main food delivery and pickup service. 

“The Everyday app is about the same as Grubhub, the only difference is we are more technology advanced than Grubhub,” Brad Buckner, in charge of the Everyday app at Tulane, said. 

“You’ll get a text message with a QR code and a four-digit code, come to the LBC center, scan it underneath the scanner that’s right by the cubes, once you scan it the door will open and that’s where your order will be located at,” Buckner said. 

A stack of food lockers in the LBC will open with your food inside. If you want your food delivered, the robots will securely deliver the food to your location. 

However, there are issues still being worked out with this new program. 

“You are unable to put your Splash Card into your account, that’s the main issue we are having as far as the students are concerned,” Buckner said. “You can do a regular credit card, but not Splash Card.”

The Everyday app is set to go live on Aug. 25.