TUA rolls out delegate election plan

Mercedes Ohlen, Staff Reporter

TUA update
Tulane Undergraduate Assembly (formerly Undergraduate Student Government), will undergo structural changes this fall in an effort to increase equity and transparency after a contentious year. (Will Embree)

The newly established Tulane Undergraduate Assembly Evolution Team recently held a virtual information session regarding the future process of holding elections. 

Following the recent referendum vote that allowed for TUA to begin establishing a team, students will now have the chance to run for positions within the organization. These elections will be held annually in early September and late March, after which delegates will hold the positions for one full calendar year. The positions chosen in September will be for first-year students while the positions chosen in March will be open to rising sophomores, juniors and seniors. 

In order to run for these positions, students must be active, full-time undergraduates, not have any academic or conduct violations at the time of the election and returning students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5.

Voting is open to all undergraduate students and will take place via WaveSync between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on the designated days. At the end of the process, seven candidates with the highest rank order within their grade will be selected as delegates. 

Further information regarding running for seats can be found on the TUA website or by contacting Laura Osteen, faculty advisor for the Evolution Team that has overseen TUA’s restructuring.