‘Bee/ Play’ showcases student talent in short plays

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Emma Rary and Anthony Shaw rehearse for

Seniors Emma Rary and Anthony Shaw rehearse for "Bee/ Play" Tuesday night in Elleonora P. McWilliams Hall. The variety show will run from Nov. 18-20 and will feature five plays.  

Taylor DeMulling, Arcade [email protected]

To bee or not to bee — that is the question that the Tulane University Performing Arts Society strives to answer with its upcoming show, “Bee/ Play.”

“Bee/ Play” is TUPAS’ first show of the semester, it works to showcase student talents through acting, directing and production. The show of short plays starts at 7 p.m. and runs from Friday Nov. 18 through Nov. 20 in the Lab Theatre of Elleonora P. McWilliams Hall.

A true variety show, there is no common theme across each of the five plays. The consistency of the production, however, illustrates the dedication to maximizing student involvement, between 23 actors, four directors and the production team. While the genres, lengths and topics vary each show offers comedic, lighthearted elements that prevent them from contrasting too much.

The production features five plays directed by four different students, the first being political drama “Ding Dong The Wicked,” directed by Tulane junior Haley Riemer. The next play,”Moments,” is directed by sophomore Madilyn Turken, is a romantic comedy that tells the tale of a relationship in brief flashes.

Junior John Berner directed two plays, “Surprise,” a short about a psychic, and “2B (or Not 2B),” the namesake of the variety show.

Senior Elizabeth Wittenberg wrote and directed the third play of the show, “Sheetcake and Giftcards.” This short play highlights four people, one birthday and one bar. Aside from Wittenberg’s self-written piece, each director picked a play to include in the variety show.

TUPAS began planning early, with submissions of plays from interested directors beginning last semester. TUPAS held casting auditions just before fall break with ample time to rehearse and prepare. While most of the students involved with “Bee/ Play” are members of TUPAS, involvement in its productions is open to the entire student body.

Be there to see student performances, directing, production and a questionable human-bee relationship all come together at “Bee/ Play.” The event is open to the public.