Dean of Students addresses article defending rapper Ye

Martha Sanchez, News Editor

Woodley’s email said the article caused pain and outrage, and she denounced antisemitism, anti-Blackness and all forms of discrimination.  (Rahima Olatinwo)

Dean of Students Erica Woodley on Thursday addressed a recent online opinion article in which a student defended antisemitic comments from the rapper Ye, formerly known as Kanye West. 

In a letter emailed to all students, Woodley said the article caused pain and outrage, and she denounced antisemitism, anti-Blackness and all forms of discrimination. 

At Tulane, we strive to foster a sense of belonging by building an inclusive community that supports an environment of equity, diversity, compassion and respect,” Woodley said.  

The unusual step from campus leadership to condemn an individual student opinion post follows several other signs of intolerance on campus. These incidents prompt new questions about discrimination at Tulane University, which has long sought to increase equity and inclusion. 

Three cases of homophobic rhetoric on campus startled students last month after a fraternity was suspended over the use of an anti-gay slur. Days later, the Tulane University Police Department responded to two reports of homophobic profanity. 

Antisemitic views are also rising nationwide. A recent survey found many citizens, including young Americans, held stereotypical views about Jews. Earlier this week, New Orleans Carnival Krewe Endymion withdrew its invitation to film star and director Mel Gibson to be the krewe’s grand-marshal. The decision comes after criticism over ignoring Gibson’s past history of making antisemitic comments. 

The article Woodley condemned was written by a Tulane undergraduate student on a website called College Dissident. It defends recent instances in which Ye tweeted he was “going death con 3” on Jewish people, praised Hitler on a right-wing radio show and wore a shirt that read “White Lives Matter.” 

Woodley said the Office of Student Conduct is reviewing the matter. 

“While the importance of free expression on a university campus cannot be overstated, words that run counter to our core values impact our community,” Woodley said.