• Green Wave baseball heads to the Corvallis regional after winning back-to-back conference championships

Green Wave Baseball wins back-to-back conference championships, will play in Corvallis regional

• Available supplies include, but are not limited to, syringes, tourniquets, cookers and other paraphernalia, provided to cut down on sharing within the community.

Harm reduction in New Orleans, from pavement up

• From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

• Police have found two video cameras in campus bathrooms in recent months and arrested one former employee but said the cases do not appear to be connected.

Faculty, students deliver letters condemning Tulane’s response to pro-Palestinian encampment

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Tulane faculty letter concerning campus protest

• Jack Zinsser shows face.

Helluva Hubbalagoo

• Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

• Michael Pratt was selected by the Green Bay Packers with the 245th overall pick in the seventh round of the 2024 NFL draft.

Pratt, Jackson, others find landing spots in NFL

• Letter from the Editor | In good hands

Letter from the Editor | In good hands

• Zion Williamsons injury in the NBA play-in was the final nail in the coffin for the New Orleans Pelicans season.

Remembering New Orleans Pelicans: October 2023 – April 2024

• Participants of the 2024 Tulane Student Film Festival. Courtesy of the Film Festival.

Tulane hosts third annual student film festival

• OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

• OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Silent killer: Why World Malaria Day matters

• Police stand in front of protesters early Wednesday morning.

Pro-Palestinian protesters demand charges be dropped after police sweep at Tulane

Hurricane season: preparing for ‘above normal’ projections

According to experts, this hurricane season poses a higher threat than normal. Tulane University’s Office of Emergency Preparedness and Response urges students to secure their evacuation plan.

On Aug. 11, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration forecasters boosted their projections of this hurricane season to “above normal” levels of hurricane activity. 

Hurricane season for the southeastern United States is a period of increased Atlantic Ocean cyclone formation between June 1 and Nov. 30. This year, the NOAA estimates a 70% likelihood of 14 to 21 named storms hitting. Of those, six to 11 will likely become hurricanes and two to five major hurricanes. 

Idalia, the first hurricane formation impacting the gulf this season, slammed Florida’s west coast and moved north towards Georgia and the Carolinas on Aug. 30.

Tulane University’s Office of Emergency Preparedness and Response reminded students of its evacuation policy to keep students and staff safe in the event of a weather-related emergency. 

“The Office of Emergency Preparedness and Response has developed a comprehensive policy for weather events, including hurricanes, that may require evacuation […]. All students are expected to activate their evacuation plans when the university encourages the activation of personal evacuation plans.” 

The office will update students on potentially impactful hurricanes and monitor their paths ahead of time. 

“Based on its long experience and expertise, [we] prepare for all hurricane seasons in a thorough manner regardless of what the forecast is regarding how active or inactive the season may be,” Executive Director of Emergency Management Jason Ferguson said. “If a storm is forecasted to impact our community, we will provide information about the storm’s path, the status of university operations, and resources to help you stay safe through the storm.” 

In the meantime, the office heavily encourages students, faculty and staff to complete a self-evacuation action plan. Evacuation plans are personalized and independent; students can execute them at their discretion. 

“By having a personal evacuation plan, students should feel empowered to implement that plan when a storm is approaching, regardless if the university shelters in place or evacuates,” Ferguson said.  

Students must notify professors if they wish to leave campus before the closure announcement. 

Ferguson said he encourages students to take at least one week’s worth of supplies when evacuating as well as materials to attend class remotely. This includes government issued IDs, Splash Cards, medications, valuable items and service animals. 

In the event of an evacuation, Tulane will run shuttles to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport for students flying to another city and assist in student evacuation.

“Students should watch local news for weather updates as well as monitor official Tulane channels, including email and social media (@TulaneU and @TulaneEmergency on Instagram) for hurricane updates,” Ferguson said.