• Green Wave baseball heads to the Corvallis regional after winning back-to-back conference championships

Green Wave Baseball wins back-to-back conference championships, will play in Corvallis regional

• Available supplies include, but are not limited to, syringes, tourniquets, cookers and other paraphernalia, provided to cut down on sharing within the community.

Harm reduction in New Orleans, from pavement up

• From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

• Police have found two video cameras in campus bathrooms in recent months and arrested one former employee but said the cases do not appear to be connected.

Faculty, students deliver letters condemning Tulane’s response to pro-Palestinian encampment

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Tulane faculty letter concerning campus protest

• Jack Zinsser shows face.

Helluva Hubbalagoo

• Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

• Michael Pratt was selected by the Green Bay Packers with the 245th overall pick in the seventh round of the 2024 NFL draft.

Pratt, Jackson, others find landing spots in NFL

• Letter from the Editor | In good hands

Letter from the Editor | In good hands

• Zion Williamsons injury in the NBA play-in was the final nail in the coffin for the New Orleans Pelicans season.

Remembering New Orleans Pelicans: October 2023 – April 2024

• Participants of the 2024 Tulane Student Film Festival. Courtesy of the Film Festival.

Tulane hosts third annual student film festival

• OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

• OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Silent killer: Why World Malaria Day matters

• Police stand in front of protesters early Wednesday morning.

Pro-Palestinian protesters demand charges be dropped after police sweep at Tulane

Saltwater intrusion is alarming but manageable, Tulane professors say

In August of last year, Jefferson Parish saw around 10 inches of rain compared to August this year, with only two inches of rain. In July, Louisiana was 20 inches below its usual amount of rainfall. (Na)

After a summer of heat and drought in Louisiana, the Mississippi River’s water levels are dropping, allowing salt water from the Gulf of Mexico to slowly trickle in and likely reach New Orleans drinking water in late October.

On Sept. 27, President Joe Biden declared the saltwater intrusion a federal emergency.

The reduced flow rate in the Mississippi River is driven by lack of rainfall. In August of last year, Jefferson Parish saw around 10 inches of rain compared to August this year, with only two inches of rain. In July, Louisiana was 20 inches below its usual amount of rainfall.

“I think it’s hard to have this conversation without considering what the weather patterns have been this year,” Stephen Murphy, professor and director of the Tulane University’s Disaster Management Program, said.

The threat of salt water in New Orleans is not unprecedented. It threatened New Orleans in 1988, when salt water rose up to Kenner, Louisiana but only lasted a few days because rainfall restored the river to normal conditions.

“The salt water has found a much easier path to continue marching forward; it’s heavier than freshwater, so it’s marching along the bottom of the riverbed,” Murphy said. “That happens quite a bit, but the flow rate of the river typically rebounds.”

Tulane released a statement on Tuesday that said the school is “closely coordinating with local and state officials on this issue” and that it is working on “plans to support our on- and off-campus students, including bottled water distribution if needed.” 

The statement also said that New Orleans tap water is currently safe to drink. The salt water is expected to reach New Orleans in late October

“It’s going slow enough that I think we can respond to it,” toxicology and environmental health professor Charles Miller said. “I don’t think you need to rush out and stock up on water or something like that. It’s a slow-rolling thing. It’s not like a fire or a hurricane or something that’s rapid.”

The Sewage and Water Board of New Orleans tests for chloride in the river and tap water every day to estimate salt levels before and after treatment for the Eastbank and Algiers. On Wednesday, the Eastbank tap had 52 parts per million and Algiers had 50 ppm. The high sodium water advisory is 250 ppm.

“Obviously, the salt water in your drinking water is an issue,” Murphy said. “The human body is pretty impressive, though. We tend to say around 200 to 250 ppm of the chloride in your water will be salty to your taste buds. That’s not necessarily unhealthy.”

The potential intrusion of salt water into drinking water does pose health risks. High levels of salt, or anything above 250 ppm, can make tap water unsafe for drinking and cooking. Risks are higher for more vulnerable groups like people with high blood pressure, kidney disease, people on a low-sodium diet, infants and pregnant women.

“Drinking salt water is not good for your health,” professor and climate adaptation expert Jesse Keenan said. “Just like you’re not supposed to eat a lot of salt in your diet. It’s the reason we don’t eat Chick-fil-A every day. Even very low levels of salt in the water are extremely problematic, indeed dangerous.”

Mayor LaToya Cantrell signed an Emergency Declaration on Sept. 22, which allows city agencies to “thoroughly prepare for and respond to any impending impacts.” It also allows for state and federal agencies to distribute resources if necessary.

“I do not think this is going to lead to something that is that catastrophic,” Murphy said. “It’s important to remember that we will have water … the water itself is not going to be cut off.”

On Sept. 25, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers started raising the underwater sill that was installed in July to ​help delay the salt water. This construction is set to slow down the salt water by 10 to 15 days.

Orleans Parish is also constructing a pipeline to pump freshwater from upriver to its main water plant. 

“If it’s a three-month duration event, and they cannot dilute the water, you’ve got a massive crisis on your hands,” Keenan said. “If they can dilute the water and it’s short in duration, then it’s not going to be that big of a deal.”