• Green Wave baseball heads to the Corvallis regional after winning back-to-back conference championships

Green Wave Baseball wins back-to-back conference championships, will play in Corvallis regional

• Available supplies include, but are not limited to, syringes, tourniquets, cookers and other paraphernalia, provided to cut down on sharing within the community.

Harm reduction in New Orleans, from pavement up

• From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

• Police have found two video cameras in campus bathrooms in recent months and arrested one former employee but said the cases do not appear to be connected.

Faculty, students deliver letters condemning Tulane’s response to pro-Palestinian encampment

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Tulane faculty letter concerning campus protest

• Jack Zinsser shows face.

Helluva Hubbalagoo

• Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

• Michael Pratt was selected by the Green Bay Packers with the 245th overall pick in the seventh round of the 2024 NFL draft.

Pratt, Jackson, others find landing spots in NFL

• Letter from the Editor | In good hands

Letter from the Editor | In good hands

• Zion Williamsons injury in the NBA play-in was the final nail in the coffin for the New Orleans Pelicans season.

Remembering New Orleans Pelicans: October 2023 – April 2024

• Participants of the 2024 Tulane Student Film Festival. Courtesy of the Film Festival.

Tulane hosts third annual student film festival

• OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

• OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Silent killer: Why World Malaria Day matters

• Police stand in front of protesters early Wednesday morning.

Pro-Palestinian protesters demand charges be dropped after police sweep at Tulane

Annual town hall addresses sexual violence on campus

“Almost everyone on this campus is impacted by this issue, whether it is themselves or their friend who has had an experience,” Anna Johnson, Co-Director of the SPVR Collective, said. “We essentially all do response work and supporting survivors can be extremely overwhelming.” (Sundee Win)

On Wednesday, Nov. 8 at 6 p.m., students, faculty and administrators gathered in the Diboll Gallery for the eighth annual Sexual Violence Town Hall at Tulane University. The event, hosted by the Sexual Violence Prevention & Response Collective, sought to foster an open dialogue about sexual violence safety on campus.

The town hall began with opening remarks by Anna Johnson, co-director of the SPVR collective, and a keynote speech by Jenny Mercein, an associate professor with the Tulane Department of Theatre and Dance. 

Johnson said intersectional barriers within sexual violence advocacy may impact some more than others and that there is a misconception that sexual violence only impacts people of certain identities. 

“Almost everyone on this campus is impacted by this issue, whether it is themselves or their friend who has had an experience,” Johnson said. “We essentially all do response work and supporting survivors can be extremely overwhelming.” 

When she took the stage, Mercein described her experiences producing “Roleplay” at Tulane, a critically acclaimed play which has led to calls for positive social change on campus. The production focuses on sexual violence culture and examines intersectional issues including race, class, identity, substance abuse, mental health and privilege. 

“I was constantly awed by the bravery of the student artists involved, by their willingness to engage in difficult conversations, to rigorously interrogate the norms and behaviors that support and even encourage toxic behavior on our campus, some of which they themselves were [unknowingly] participating,” Mercein said. 

As audience members began to anonymously submit questions through the QR code projected on the screen, the panelists introduced themselves. 

The panel included administrative directors overseeing various parts of campus life and student health, as well as student advocates for sexual violence and prevention. They discussed what’s been done toward sexual violence education and awareness, how sexual violence is addressed within the Tulane community and plans moving forward for continuing sexual violence education.

Chief Title IX Officer Marcus Foster addressed discrepancies in sexual violence reports from the university, which he said are attributed to varying factors. In response to dwindling campus interest in attending events that discuss sexual violence, Foster said the Title IX office conducted a survey with 50 public health students at Tulane that asked how to keep raising sexual violence awareness in a effective way. 

The Title IX office found that most students would like to learn the tools to deal with sexual violence in the community. Consequently, the office has shifted to providing workshops in collaboration with graduate and professional students and faculty to help inform aspiring student leaders to react to those incidents. 

“The initial feedback we’ve got from those four sessions has been overwhelmingly positive, so we anticipate continuing to offer those sessions,” Foster said. He also highlighted the professional development program offered through the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion specifically for employees of the university to learn more about gender equity and to equip them with the skills for dealing with sexual violence in the community. 

Continuing education in sexual violence for upperclassmen was also a topic of interest during the question and answer portion. Jennifer Hunt, the assistant director of The Well for Health Promotion and Sexual Aggression Peer Hotline and Education advisor, said the purpose of prematriculation online models is to establish “shared knowledge, beliefs and expectations around healthy relationships and healthy sexuality” within the incoming members of the Tulane community.

She also said new initiatives are in progress to encourage sexual literacy within the student body by establishing “touch points” throughout the phases of a Tulane’s student life cycle, including when students study abroad or move off campus.

Nelda Bailey, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Programs, spoke about the perceived correlation between sexual violence and Greek life. She said her office has trained campus leaders on prevention, what to do when something has been reported at a social event and next steps in terms of support for the person impacted.

Hunt emphasized the importance of not taking a one-size-fits-all approach toward sexual violence survivors. She said an individual’s lived experiences are central to how they respond to sexual violence, and it is important to incorporate intersexuality in post-care. Respecting others could involve making space for a person impacted in ways that aren’t centered around traumatic events, or centering their voice in the discussion using inclusive language, she added. 

As the panel concluded, the SVPR collective urged the audience to stay supportive and informed. 

“I want to thank SPVR for completely changing the trajectory of my college experience and my life. Learning how to support survivors has made me a better advocate, but also a friend and a better person,” Johnson said.