• Green Wave baseball heads to the Corvallis regional after winning back-to-back conference championships

Green Wave Baseball wins back-to-back conference championships, will play in Corvallis regional

• Available supplies include, but are not limited to, syringes, tourniquets, cookers and other paraphernalia, provided to cut down on sharing within the community.

Harm reduction in New Orleans, from pavement up

• From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

• Police have found two video cameras in campus bathrooms in recent months and arrested one former employee but said the cases do not appear to be connected.

Faculty, students deliver letters condemning Tulane’s response to pro-Palestinian encampment

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Tulane faculty letter concerning campus protest

• Jack Zinsser shows face.

Helluva Hubbalagoo

• Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

• Michael Pratt was selected by the Green Bay Packers with the 245th overall pick in the seventh round of the 2024 NFL draft.

Pratt, Jackson, others find landing spots in NFL

• Letter from the Editor | In good hands

Letter from the Editor | In good hands

• Zion Williamsons injury in the NBA play-in was the final nail in the coffin for the New Orleans Pelicans season.

Remembering New Orleans Pelicans: October 2023 – April 2024

• Participants of the 2024 Tulane Student Film Festival. Courtesy of the Film Festival.

Tulane hosts third annual student film festival

• OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

• OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Silent killer: Why World Malaria Day matters

• Police stand in front of protesters early Wednesday morning.

Pro-Palestinian protesters demand charges be dropped after police sweep at Tulane

OPINION | Conformity ruins recruitment

The fear of getting dropped by their dream house convolutes the recruitment process, even encouraging potential members to drop. (Taylor Fishman)

Bid Day at Tulane University is accompanied by a palpable sense of excitement; hundreds of girls sit nervously waiting for an envelope which determines the outcome of their past week of recruitment and the rest of their Panhellenic career. Around noon, these girls run to the sorority house written inside their envelope: a sorority house that they will now, and for the next four years, call “home.” 

A percentage of these girls, however, will not follow through with their designated sorority, and an even larger percentage choose to remove themselves from the recruitment process earlier in the week. Almost every girl who rushes gets offered a bid, but those who choose not to accept engage in a process which is a common phenomenon of sorority recruitment: “dropping.” 

There are various reasons why girls may drop a sorority, whether that be for financial reasons, because it genuinely wasn’t a good fit or a lack of continued interest. Often, however, girls drop due to the intense and sometimes even superficial standards that sorority recruitment expects of them. 

Rushees get only a few minutes each day to curate an impression resulting in a bid from their dream sorority, or leave them with no envelope on bid day. 

The significant pressure to “fit in” is simplified by the rejection that is inevitable through recruitment rounds. The rush process is already detrimental, yet repeated rejection takes an even higher toll on young girls. 

A 2016 study conducted by the College of William & Mary on sorority and fraternity life revealed that “There was also a significant rejection penalty for unsuccessful participants who experienced an increase in negative, dysphoric affect over the course of recruitment … However, most of the results demonstrate that recruitment is a difficult process for all participants, regardless of outcome.” Increased rejections can contribute to a mental strain which pushes many girls to drop, as the pressure and unsatisfactory results keep on increasing. 

The pressure to act a certain way for approval is heightened with the proliferating rejections rushees receive. Tulane sophomore Anisha Mann rushed last semester before dropping shortly after Bid Day. “There is definitely a superficial aspect,” she said. “When I was going to houses I wasn’t really my authentic self. You kind of act in a way that you think they want you to act in order to not get dropped and it really perpetuates this superficial environment.”

The fear of getting dropped by their dream house convolutes the recruitment process, even encouraging potential members to drop. 

Dropping the recruitment process is not inherently bad. The option was created so potential members could go through the process and decide if they want to partake in it. What we should prevent regarding rush, however, is dropping due to the superficial pressures about what a “sorority girl” should look or act like. 

Recruitment is increasingly becoming a process that is stressful, worrisome and anxiety inducing, instead of the mutual selection process it is intended to be. The pressure to conform to a certain stereotype may be the very thing that is deterring girls away from the recruitment process. 

Perhaps reducing stress will also reduce the amount of “drops” we see in a given recruitment year and leave room for genuine personalities to shine through.