• Green Wave baseball heads to the Corvallis regional after winning back-to-back conference championships

Green Wave Baseball wins back-to-back conference championships, will play in Corvallis regional

• Available supplies include, but are not limited to, syringes, tourniquets, cookers and other paraphernalia, provided to cut down on sharing within the community.

Harm reduction in New Orleans, from pavement up

• From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

• Police have found two video cameras in campus bathrooms in recent months and arrested one former employee but said the cases do not appear to be connected.

Faculty, students deliver letters condemning Tulane’s response to pro-Palestinian encampment

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Tulane faculty letter concerning campus protest

• Jack Zinsser shows face.

Helluva Hubbalagoo

• Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

• Michael Pratt was selected by the Green Bay Packers with the 245th overall pick in the seventh round of the 2024 NFL draft.

Pratt, Jackson, others find landing spots in NFL

• Letter from the Editor | In good hands

Letter from the Editor | In good hands

• Zion Williamsons injury in the NBA play-in was the final nail in the coffin for the New Orleans Pelicans season.

Remembering New Orleans Pelicans: October 2023 – April 2024

• Participants of the 2024 Tulane Student Film Festival. Courtesy of the Film Festival.

Tulane hosts third annual student film festival

• OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

• OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Silent killer: Why World Malaria Day matters

• Police stand in front of protesters early Wednesday morning.

Pro-Palestinian protesters demand charges be dropped after police sweep at Tulane

The Oscars: Women to watch in 2024

Emma Vaughters

If there was one key moment for entertainment that encapsulated 2023, it was the release of “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer.” While both films gained international success, “Barbie” garnered considerably less Oscar nominations than “Oppenheimer,” leading us all to an important question: how can we support feminist film this year? 

Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” evoked powerful emotions in its fans and dealt with themes of womanhood and the patriarchy through a satirical lens. Despite the film’s blockbuster success, it was snubbed for key awards such as Best Director and Best Actress, angering fans who were rooting for their favorite feminist film. 

While it is certainly disappointing that Gerwig and Margot Robbie, the film’s lead, were not nominated for Best Director and Best Actress this year, many smaller feminist productions earned nominations, all of which deserve the same level of acclaim as the blockbuster. If we solely focus on “Barbie,” the other impactful women who were recognized will be silenced, in turn undermining the feminist film movement at large. So, as we all tune in to the Oscars this year, I urge us all to focus our energy on uplifting and celebrating women in film as a whole.

Lily Gladstone, nominee for Best Actress, delivered one of the most beautiful performances I saw this year as Mollie Kyle in Martin Scorcese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon.” Also nominated for Best Film, “Killers of the Flower Moon” is an adaptation of the novel by the same name, following the story of the Osage murders in 1920s Oklahoma.

As the character of Mollie, Gladstone portrays a member of the Osage tribe who marries a white settler, beautifully conveying the complicated and intertwined relationships of oppression, family and identity. While sharing scenes with A-listers like Robert DeNiro and Leonardo DiCaprio, Gladstone’s breakout performance is truly what makes “Killers of the Flower Moon” an unforgettable watch.

Not only did Gladstone’s acting capability lead to her nomination for Best Actress, but her experiences as an Indigenous woman allowed her to portray Mollie with a certain authenticity that the role required. Born on the Blackfeet Nation reservation in Montana, Gladstone is the first ever Native American woman to be nominated for Best Actress. By so closely honoring her identity as a Native woman in her work, Gladstone is changing the ways that Native American identities and experiences are portrayed in the media. While I hope she is recognized for her impactful work this year, even if Gladstone does not leave the 2024 Oscars with her first academy award, she will certainly be a strong actress to watch as she continues to make her Hollywood debut. 

Most other categories were filled with snubs, but the nominations for Best Supporting Actress did not surprise at all. Danielle Brooks’ supporting role as Sofia in Blitz Bazawule’s remake of “The Color Purple” was especially eye-catching. Based on both the novel by Alice Walker and the original 1985 movie, “The Color Purple” is an essential part of both American film and literature canon, providing a poignant look into Black experiences in the Jim Crow South. Brooks was absolutely perfect for the role of Sofia, as she paid special attention to the importance of Black womanhood and remaining strong in the face of oppression. Known previously for her work in “Orange is the New Black,” Brooks honors her identity as a Black woman in every role she plays with originality. While already known for her work in theater and television, her amazing performance in “The Color Purple” makes her an actress to keep watching in 2024. 

Only one woman was nominated for the highly coveted Best Director award this year. Justine Triet, director of Best Picture nominee “Anatomy of a Fall,” has cemented her status as one of the best feminist filmmakers this year. Arguably her most interesting work yet, “Anatomy of a Fall” conveys female identity and patriarchy by playing into viewers’ biases. In Triet’s words, she wanted to depict “how [women] are treated as monsters for behaving in certain ways that men are usually forgiven for.” By making her main female character an anti-hero, Triet artfully designs a world in which a powerful woman is not immediately punished, thus challenging societal norms of misogyny. After watching “Anatomy of a Fall,” it is safe to say that Triet will be one of the most interesting independent filmmakers to watch in the coming years. 

While “Barbie” did not garner as many key awards as fans expected this year, I hope that we can move away from our collective disappointment and instead focus on uplifting other women in film who deserve recognition just as much. As we all tune in around the world to watch this year’s Oscar Awards on March 10, I urge you all to remember this year’s impactful women who have helped pave the way for feminist film.