• Professor Ata Hindi spoke to students gathered in Pocket Park Wednesday evening in protest of Hillel hosting a dinner with an IDF soldier.

Student organizes rally to protest Hillel hosting IDF soldier

• Newcomb

New team-taught classes introduced to SLA, SSE 

• OPINION | Ethical frameworks are integral to STEM education

OPINION | Ethical frameworks are integral to STEM education

• Tulanes Mens Tennis team fell short in the conference semifinals after two upset victories

Sports

Tulane men’s tennis falls short in conference tournament

• OPINION | College students need sex education, too

OPINION | College students need sex education, too

• Colin Norton, a senior studying finance and accounting, rendered these images depicting the evolution of AI using Dall-E. This one portrays Alan Turing in the style of Leonardo da Vincis lab notebook.

Imitation game: Can AI rival student intellect?

• Yale University and Brown University are among the latest Ivy League institutions to reinstate standardized testing requirements for incoming classes.

Elite colleges reinstate standardized testing requirement following new research

• Normalcy is novelty to Tulane’s graduating class

Normalcy is novelty to Tulane’s graduating class

• OPINION | Workout woes: Overcrowding strains Tulanes gym facilities

OPINION | Workout woes: Overcrowding strains Tulane’s gym facilities

• Courtesy of TU Fashion

TU Fashion presents fourth annual fashion show

• Quarterback Kai Horton led the first unit on offense in the spring football game

Defense shines in front of packed Yulman at spring football game

• OPINION | To post or not to post: Commentary on publicizing romantic relationships

OPINION | To post or not to post: Commentary on publicizing romantic relationships

• Nazi camp liberator Bill Kongable spoke to Tulane students about history, trauma and the survival of democracy.

Concentration camp liberator Bill Kongable speaks to students

• In 2000, just under 30% of college students reported never having vaginal intercourse whereas two decades later, that number is above 40%.

Not getting laid? Sex recession to blame

• Taylor Swift proves she can still ‘Do It With a Broken Heart’

Taylor Swift proves she can still ‘Do It With a Broken Heart’

‘I really felt one with the city’: Professors, students reflect on parades

Professors+and+students%2C+like+junior+Isabelle+Smith+showed+their+love+for+New+Orleans+by+joining+in+on+the+parade+festivities.+
Courtesy of Cirque du Force
Professors and students, like junior Isabelle Smith showed their love for New Orleans by joining in on the parade festivities.

As winter fades and spring approaches, New Orleans celebrates its beloved festival season, starting with the extravagant festivities of Mardi Gras. 

The Carnival season can span from January to March, kicking off this year on Jan. 6 with the Feast of the Epiphany and culminating in the famous Fat Tuesday, the date of which varies annually based on Easter.

At Tulane University, students and professors immerse themselves in the festivities, joining parades in various roles.

Patrick Bordnick, the dean of the school of social work, walked with his family as the Court of Cats in the Chewbacchus parade, rode in the Société des Champs Elysée and rode in the Krewe of Tucks.

“[Société des Champs Elysée] engages in community service year-round, including weekly feeding programs and distributing backpacks filled with essentials to unhoused community members during carnival season,” Bordnick said. “Krewe of Tucks is a fun krewe that actively contributes to the community through donations, volunteering, and visits. We enjoy crafting unique throws, with decorated plungers and toilet brushes being signature items.” 

Bordnick and his daughter, freshman Mae-Ying, also created the Court of Cats for Chewbacchus.

Patrick Bordnick, the dean of the school of social work, and the Queen of Tucks visited the Children’s Hospital.

“Mae-Ying envisioned a Krewe of cats distributing pieces of yarn as throws,” Bordnick said. “She also came up with the name ‘Court of Cats’ and took on the role of the ‘Empurrrer’ as our Krewe leader. We collaborate with a local artist to create unique papier-mâché cat heads for each member. We’re always open to new members.”

Junior Isabelle Smith also marched in Chewbacchus in her family krewe, “Cirque Du Force,” a spiff on Cirque Du Soleil and Star Wars.

Smith described how the energy from the parade is infectious, and a great way to kick off Mardi Gras. Smith said participating in a parade made her want to come to Tulane, and that parades make her feel one with the city.

Casey Love, a professor in political science and an associate dean for global education, has danced with a hot pink and silver all-female dance krewe in the Krewe of Muses every year since 2004. 

“The group provides an avenue for creative expression and camaraderie among an amazing, diverse group of women,” Love said. “We build our performance around a unique theme, and our dances and costumes reflect that theme. It’s something new each year.”

Besides riding and dancing along the streets in the Krewes, Tulanians also follow their family traditions. 

Love believes Mardi Gras “cannot really be understood—it can only be lived,” which she does by creating costumes each year and barbecuing on the neutral ground for the Saturday parades. 

Smith enjoys the Muses shoes throws and prominently displays a purple and silver glittery high heel with rhinestones and feathers in her house. Bordnick and his family decorate their house with souvenirs from Mardi Gras, both big and small. 

“I particularly enjoy handcrafted throws from our talented local artists,” Bordnick said. “We are avid collectors of unique and vintage Mardi Gras items, including art. Our home, the Raven House Nola, features 5-foot ravens from a previous Mardi Gras float featuring Edgar Allan Poe, and we had a 5-foot King Cake on our porch crafted by a local artist.”