• Professor Ata Hindi spoke to students gathered in Pocket Park Wednesday evening in protest of Hillel hosting a dinner with an IDF soldier.

Student organizes rally to protest Hillel hosting IDF soldier

• Newcomb

New team-taught classes introduced to SLA, SSE 

• OPINION | Ethical frameworks are integral to STEM education

OPINION | Ethical frameworks are integral to STEM education

• Tulanes Mens Tennis team fell short in the conference semifinals after two upset victories

Sports

Tulane men’s tennis falls short in conference tournament

• OPINION | College students need sex education, too

OPINION | College students need sex education, too

• Colin Norton, a senior studying finance and accounting, rendered these images depicting the evolution of AI using Dall-E. This one portrays Alan Turing in the style of Leonardo da Vincis lab notebook.

Imitation game: Can AI rival student intellect?

• Yale University and Brown University are among the latest Ivy League institutions to reinstate standardized testing requirements for incoming classes.

Elite colleges reinstate standardized testing requirement following new research

• Normalcy is novelty to Tulane’s graduating class

Normalcy is novelty to Tulane’s graduating class

• OPINION | Workout woes: Overcrowding strains Tulanes gym facilities

OPINION | Workout woes: Overcrowding strains Tulane’s gym facilities

• Courtesy of TU Fashion

TU Fashion presents fourth annual fashion show

• Quarterback Kai Horton led the first unit on offense in the spring football game

Defense shines in front of packed Yulman at spring football game

• OPINION | To post or not to post: Commentary on publicizing romantic relationships

OPINION | To post or not to post: Commentary on publicizing romantic relationships

• Nazi camp liberator Bill Kongable spoke to Tulane students about history, trauma and the survival of democracy.

Concentration camp liberator Bill Kongable speaks to students

• In 2000, just under 30% of college students reported never having vaginal intercourse whereas two decades later, that number is above 40%.

Not getting laid? Sex recession to blame

• Taylor Swift proves she can still ‘Do It With a Broken Heart’

Taylor Swift proves she can still ‘Do It With a Broken Heart’

It has become popular in recent years to decry academic tenure for professors as an unnecessary systemic overprotection of certain employees.Nathan Rich

It has become popular in recent years to decry academic tenure for professors as an unnecessary systemic overprotection of certain employees. But people often have a misrepresented image of what tenure is. It is not the systemic enabling of complacency, but a vital barrier protecting freedom of speech and expression.

Tenure is “an indefinite appointment that can be terminated only for cause or under extraordinary circumstances such as financial exigency and program discontinuation,” according to the American Association of University Professors.

Why is this unique status necessary for professors? While tenure is not a perfect system, it provides shelter from administrative overreach or political retribution. It grants professors the ability to take an unpopular stance and teach their students freely. The job security that tenure provides ensures that if a professor is fired, it will not be for holding different views than the administration. 

Elisha Andrews, a late 19th century Brown University president, helped demonstrate the necessity of academic tenure. Andrews supported the use of silver coins as a way to lessen the impact of deflation on American consumers and farmers who were taking out increasingly larger loans.

The Brown University board commanded Andrews to stop his public campaigning because many board members were landowners and creditors — positions that profited from the very deflation Andrews fought against. When the university compelled Andrews to resign in 1897, teachers and students protested, arguing that his rights to free expression should be upheld.

Countless historical instances show a clash between universities and their faculties’ beliefs. 

The circumstances under which a university can fire a tenured professor vary between schools, but they generally agree that tenure does not protect hate speech and speech that incites violence. 

The requirements to achieve tenure vary not only by university, but often between departments within universities. Typically, an extended track record of good job performance, published research and support of peers places one in a strong position to achieve tenure. 

Why does tenure matter today? Recently, conservative politicians have expanded their book-banning expedition to target tenure. Louisiana legislators proposed anti-tenure legislation last year. Public backlash led to the withdrawal of the bill, but that was before current Gov. Jeff Landry was elected. It’s entirely possible this legislation could be revisited. 

The proposed legislation would have established a revocation procedure for tenure status of faculty members who do not fulfill review standards. It also mandated that all full and part-time instructors at public colleges, including those with tenure, submit to an annual performance review. 

Refusing to comply with the plan or failing to achieve significant progress, as defined by the state, would result in the elimination of tenure for tenured staff. Former Louisiana State Sen. Stewart Cathey summed up his opposition to tenure by stating that professors use it to “say whatever they want.” 

I should hope so. God forbid a professor says something I, or other classmates, disagree with. I shudder to think of the dialogue between opposing viewpoints that could produce. I might consider perspectives I hadn’t heard before. It could spawn critical thinking. We can’t have that; that sounds like an education. 

Critics commonly charge tenure with enabling complacency among those staff that receive tenured positions. This may be a valid complaint in some instances. But taken in account with the strengths of tenure, it becomes meaningless. 

It seems preferable to ensure universities unquestionably protect professors’ first amendment rights and ability to teach without fear, even if that means teachers assistants might be grading more papers.