• A shooting at The Republic NOLA in the Warehouse district left one dead and 11 injured.

Shooting at Republic NOLA leaves one dead, 11 injured

Tulane announces new chief of police

• Letter to the Editor | Support Tulane Workers United, help your professors

Letter to the Editor | Support Tulane Workers United, help your professors

• Head coach Lisa Stockton led the Tulane womens basketball program for 30 years.

Tulane women’s basketball ushers in new era with coach Langford

• The UConn Huskies win the 2024 National Championship after a dominant tournament run

Uconn dominates NCAA tournament, earns “blue blood” status

• Green Wave baseball looks to climb up the standings in the American Conference

Green Wave baseball hopes to build off recent victory for conference improvement

• Analyzing satire: Why Helldivers 2 succeeds where Warhammer 40k faltered

Analyzing satire: Why Helldivers 2 succeeds where Warhammer 40k faltered

• Tulanes Middle East and North African Studies introduces students to the rich history, layered politics, diverse cultures, linguistic, and religious traditions of the Middle East and North Africa, according to the Tulane website.

Open letter from staff accuses Tulane of anti-Palestinian bias

• Cowboy Carter explores past music tradition while creating its own

Cowboy Carter explores past music tradition while creating its own

• Tulanes Green Wave Films assists with HBOs ‘The Welcome Table’

Tulane’s Green Wave Films assists with HBO’s ‘The Welcome Table’

• spring semester

Alumni, authors on COVID-19 failures and future pandemics

• Ian Faul is the incoming editor-in-chief of the Tulane Hullabaloo.

Ian Faul elected next Hullabaloo Editor-in-Chief

• Crawfest 2024 prevails in face of crawfish shortage

Crawfest 2024 prevails in face of crawfish shortage

• ‘Deeper Well’: Kacey Musgraves explores self-fulfillment, musical evolution

‘Deeper Well’: Kacey Musgraves explores self-fulfillment, musical evolution

• Tulane’s URBANBuild students build ‘Tiny Homes,’ combatting homelessness

Tulane’s URBANBuild students build ‘Tiny Homes,’ combatting homelessness

After Mardi Gras, warmer weather and busier schedules signify an approaching summer. For the class of 2027, this is the very first college summer — how should you spend it?

Take a summer class at Tulane Summer School

One of the top options for college students is attending Tulane University Summer School to pursue their academic path. There are three phases of summer school that you can consider: maymester, early summer and late summer, each lasting around four weeks. You can take one course a month, spending a bit of time every day to get nine credit hours during the summer, or take between one and three classes in a single four-week session to have the rest of the summer free. 

Summer classes are also an excellent option for those hoping to graduate early.  With a four to 10-week-long course, Tulane students can get credit hours for each course instead of spending a semester struggling to balance a social life, academics and club commitments. The small class contributes to a less pressured environment, more classroom interactions and networking opportunities.

Some courses are limited to the summer, so students can’t take them during the academic year. Such courses include the business minor at Tulane, where students can get a business minor with over 23 credit hours in 10 weeks.

Here’s how you should spend your college summer. (Shivani Bondada)

For more summer course information, consult Tulane’s Summer School website.  

Tulane’s Dean’s Summer School Fund also provides financial aid and scholarships equivalent to a three-credit course, costing approximately four thousand dollars, for qualifying students. The deadline is March 15, so you still have plenty of time to consider this opportunity and apply.

Look for more information here: Dean’s Summer School Fund | Summer at Tulane

Go abroad 

If you have never had a chance to study abroad or are unable to study abroad during the academic year, summer is the perfect time to put your life into a suitcase and live somewhere new. 

The Tulane Office of Study Abroad runs various summer abroad opportunities in Rome, Florence, Paris, Greece and more. One can earn up to seven credits in four weeks during maymester, early summer or late summer programs while taking actual courses with Tulane professors. The OSA also provides scholarships and financial aid. The Center of Academic Enrichment offers additional summer grants of up to $1,500.

You don’t need to study abroad with Tulane OSA; you can still spend a summer abroad with other programs such as AIFS or CIEE, transfer credits and apply for summer grants at Tulane. 

For more information: Summer Abroad | Center for Global Education

Do some research

If you consider yourself an academic weapon, you can spend time in the summer conducting research. You can either conduct your research in your own way, assist Tulane professors in their labs or participate in fieldwork. 

Find research opportunities by contacting various professors or your major advisor to learn more about research assistant positions. The Office of Undergraduate Research page houses some research projects in-progress. 

Get an early internship

The summer after freshman year is the perfect time to gain real-world experience through an internship. Many companies specifically look to hire first and second-year college students for summer internships. Visit your campus career center to learn about internship opportunities and how to apply. Getting hands-on experience in a professional setting will help you learn valuable skills and grow your resume.

For more information: Find Internships | Tulane Career Services

Find a summer job

Summer break is the prime time to start earning some cash. Whether saving for next semester or building your resume, getting a job or internship is never a bad move.

Browse job boards like Indeed and LinkedIn for openings, or check your campus career site. Retail and food service positions tend to hire summer staff. Try camps, parks and gyms for roles working with kids or the public.

Also, look for internships related to your career interests. Tech internships at local startups provide valuable experience. Hospital volunteering beefs up medical school applications. Museum or gallery internships teach event planning skills.

Remember on-campus options, too; many colleges need summer course assistants, office helpers or groundskeepers. Perks include flexibility and university connections.

A little summer job experience goes a long way. It teaches time management, responsibility and people skills that will be useful in future roles. And earning extra money over break doesn’t hurt.

BUT YOU DON’T NEED TO BE PRODUCTIVE: IT’S SUMMERTIME

Spend time with family

Coming home after months of dorm food and cramped quarters can feel like a dream. For those lucky enough to live nearby, summer offers the perfect chance to reunite with family.

For international students, the chance to be home may only come once a year — so soak it up. Share meals with grandparents, cousins and old friends who feel like family. Exchange gifts and stories, marvel at how much has changed. Rediscover hometown favorites, from street food to scenic vistas. This is a chance to immerse yourselves in a culture you’ve missed.

Whether it is an internship, studying abroad, researching or reconnecting with family and friends, summer is something to look forward to — and start planning now.