• A shooting at The Republic NOLA in the Warehouse district left one dead and 11 injured.

Shooting at Republic NOLA leaves one dead, 11 injured

Tulane announces new chief of police

• Letter to the Editor | Support Tulane Workers United, help your professors

Letter to the Editor | Support Tulane Workers United, help your professors

• Head coach Lisa Stockton led the Tulane womens basketball program for 30 years.

Tulane women’s basketball ushers in new era with coach Langford

• The UConn Huskies win the 2024 National Championship after a dominant tournament run

Uconn dominates NCAA tournament, earns “blue blood” status

• Green Wave baseball looks to climb up the standings in the American Conference

Green Wave baseball hopes to build off recent victory for conference improvement

• Analyzing satire: Why Helldivers 2 succeeds where Warhammer 40k faltered

Analyzing satire: Why Helldivers 2 succeeds where Warhammer 40k faltered

• Tulanes Middle East and North African Studies introduces students to the rich history, layered politics, diverse cultures, linguistic, and religious traditions of the Middle East and North Africa, according to the Tulane website.

Open letter from staff accuses Tulane of anti-Palestinian bias

• Cowboy Carter explores past music tradition while creating its own

Cowboy Carter explores past music tradition while creating its own

• Tulanes Green Wave Films assists with HBOs ‘The Welcome Table’

Tulane’s Green Wave Films assists with HBO’s ‘The Welcome Table’

• spring semester

Alumni, authors on COVID-19 failures and future pandemics

• Ian Faul is the incoming editor-in-chief of the Tulane Hullabaloo.

Ian Faul elected next Hullabaloo Editor-in-Chief

• Crawfest 2024 prevails in face of crawfish shortage

Crawfest 2024 prevails in face of crawfish shortage

• ‘Deeper Well’: Kacey Musgraves explores self-fulfillment, musical evolution

‘Deeper Well’: Kacey Musgraves explores self-fulfillment, musical evolution

• Tulane’s URBANBuild students build ‘Tiny Homes,’ combatting homelessness

Tulane’s URBANBuild students build ‘Tiny Homes,’ combatting homelessness

Butler camera was second video device found in campus bathrooms over past year

Police have found two video cameras in campus bathrooms in recent months and arrested one former employee but said the cases do not appear to be connected. (Rahima Olatinwo)

Authorities arrested and charged a former Tulane University employee last summer after police found a small video camera in a Gibson Hall bathroom, the school confirmed this week.

The case is not the only such incident on Tulane’s campus in the past year. Last month, a student discovered another small video camera in a shower in Butler Hall, a freshman dormitory, the Tulane University Police Department said in an email. 

Tulane said this week there is no evidence the two cases are connected. Police are still investigating the case of the camera in Butler and no suspect had been arrested as of Wednesday. 

TUPD arrested 36-year-old Wesley Hollingsworth on June 23 after finding a small video camera in the single occupancy, gender-neutral bathroom on the first floor of Gibson, according to court records and TUPD. 

Hollingsworth is charged with nine counts of video voyeurism sexual content. Court records show he appeared in court in December and pleaded not guilty.

The university fired Hollingsworth and banned him from campus after his arrest, Tulane spokesperson Mike Strecker said this week.

Hollingsworth worked in Tulane’s Office of Financial Aid as an administrative program coordinator, according to a 2022-2023 staff list. Hollingsworth had worked at Tulane since the spring of 2016, according to the spring 2021 President’s Excellence Awards, which listed Hollingsworth as a five-year employee.  

Jeffrey Hufft, an attorney at a Metairie law firm representing Hollingsworth, declined to comment on Tuesday.  

Tulane police identified Hollingsworth as a suspect “within hours” of learning about the camera in Gibson, Strecker said. 

The New Orleans Police Department said in an email on Wednesday that the camera was first reported June 15, and Hollingsworth was arrested June 23. 

TUPD notified Gibson employees of the camera on June 29, an email from Tulane police shows. Gibson is an administrative building that includes the Office of the President, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, the Office of Financial Aid and some classrooms. 

By July 3, Tulane police had individually notified everyone who was recorded by the camera, according to an email sent on that date from Dean of Admissions Shawn Abbott, whose office is in Gibson. 

It is unclear how many people were caught on camera, or if any were students. Student interns working in admissions over the summer were notified of the incident, an email shows. 

Tulane directed employees who needed support after the incident to an employee assistance program, according to an email from TUPD. The department also directed impacted students to The Line, a confidential counseling service on campus. 

Hollingsworth was released on bond in June, court records show. He is awaiting trial and a hearing in the case is scheduled for March 13.

The cameras in Gibson and Butler were the only two found on campus in the past year, Strecker said. 

A student found the camera in Butler in a sixth floor shower, according to a message Tulane police sent to residents of the dormitory. The sixth floor is all-male. 

Police said last month they searched all on-campus shower facilities and found no other cameras. 

Tulane police did not say whether the camera in Butler was recording and have not released further information because the case is still under criminal investigation.