Local Natives to perform new sound at weekend show

Courtesy of Shore Fire Media

Samantha Sitt, Senior Staff Reporter

Dipping into the pool of modern day electronica, Local Natives’ latest album, “Sunlit Youth,” delivers a new front for the Los Angeles-based quintet to explore. Three long years since its last release, the band has stepped away from intimate and burning sounds and into the lyricism of fading adolescence and change.

With this new album, the indie rock group will offer a fountain of youth, catering to a younger crowd at its upcoming show at 8:30 p.m. on Oct. 7 at the Civic Theatre. Canadian singer and songwriter Charlotte Day Wilson will open for the band, setting the mood with her soothing intonation and jazzy sounds.

Local Natives last graced New Orleans in 2014 as an opening act for Kings of Leon, a stop on its international tour in support of its sophomore album, “Hummingbird.”

In a transition from intimacy and instrumental, the band will flesh out spirited lyrics of declaration as headliners at the upcoming show.

The concert is expected to draw loyal fans of “Gorilla Manor” and “Hummingbird,” the highly received first and second albums, along with first-time listeners attracted to the electronic-laced sound and energy of “Sunlit Youth.”  

The maturation of the band’s sound and recent release of a lyric video to “Fountain of Youth” aids and encourages audience members to sing along to the new tracks. Attendees should listen out for imminent hits such as “Dark Days” and “Coins.” 

Concert-goers can expect a promising show but may be surprised by the new wave electronica, providing an opportunity to discover underrated tracks and listen to old favorites.