Letter from the Editor: why we report

Brandi Doyal, Senior Staff Reporter

Dear Tulane community,

As part of the Tulane community, The Hullabaloo and its staff share the sadness over Erin Peters’ death. On a campus where any building is reachable by a ten-minute walk, the effect of any death on the community is staggering.

The Hullabaloo follows specific guidelines when reporting on deaths in the community. We reach out to the New Orleans Police Department and the Tulane administration to confirm any incident, and in the case of a death, we wait to publish any information until the family has been contacted.

The Hullabaloo follows guidelines created by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, the National Alliance on Mental Illness and others to help journalists responsibly report on suicides. The last thing The Hullabaloo would ever want to do is add to the grief of family and friends, however, according to http://reportingonsuicide.org/, “covering suicide carefully, even briefly, can change public misperceptions and correct myths, which can encourage those who are vulnerable or at risk to seek help.”

More information about the student and an obituary may be published later, after the family has had a chance to decide what they would like to do and how they would like their daughter to be remembered.

The Hullabaloo will continue to serve the Tulane community and encourages all students to use the resources available to help them through this hard time.

For anyone in need of help, please contact Student Resources and Support Services on-call line at 504-920-9900 or visit the CAPS office, located in the Science and Engineering Complex and open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

For the olive and blue,

Brandi Doyal

Editor-in-Chief