No headline provided

No headline provided

Lina Tran

Circle Bar, 1032 St. Charles Ave.

A straight shot down St. Charles Avenue, Circle Bar offers an unexpected experience. Located in a bright red Victorian-style house, this venue allows an intimate connection to visiting acts and patrons alike. Recently the victim of a city-wide crackdown on music licenses and other business permits, Circle Bar was forced to briefly close its doors this summer. The site is back in business, however, and lively as ever, hosting small, local acts. Circle Bar is the only location on this list that is restricted to ages 21 and up.

Upcoming shows: Vox and the Hound, Marmalakes and Babes

One Eyed Jacks, 615 Toulouse St.

One Eyed Jacks calls itself the “premier venue of the French Quarter for touring alternative acts,” and you’d be hard-pressed to find someone who disagrees. Lavishly decorated in a manner reminiscent of a movie theater from the 1900s, this plush venue is popular with students for its swanky atmosphere, cheap tickets, and support for musical growth. Several Tulane and Loyola student bands will play at One Eyed Jacks during the semester, and WTUL frequently hosts events at the venue. One Eyed Jacks also has one of the cleaner bathrooms amongst other venues on this list, a desirable benefit.

Upcoming shows: Sun Hotel, Two Gallants, Menomena

Tipitina’s, 501 Napoleon Ave.

Recognized by CNN as one of the country’s top 10 “most fabulous music venues,” Tip’s iconic status as one of New Orleans’ greatest music halls has persisted for decades. Originally established in 1977 solely to host Professor Longhair, a prominent New Orleans blues artist. Tip’s has expanded its audience and hosted a great variety of local and national acts through the years. Each night, the unassuming pale yellow building welcomes crowds of concert-goers, morphing into a bustling epicenter of musical enthusiasm and history. Every Sunday from 1:00 to 3:30 p.m., Tip’s hosts the Sunday Music Workshop Series, sponsored by the Tipitina’s Foundation, dedicated to the preservation of New Orleans’ musical culture. Participation and attendance in the workshop is free, and students who take part have a chance to play on the stage that has hosted scores of legends before them

Upcoming shows: Rebirth Brass Band, Galactic, Beach House, The Walkmen

House of Blues, 225 Decatur St.

House of Blues hosts more prominent acts than other venues on this list. This particular location opened in 1994 with a mission to celebrate “the history of Southern culture and African-American artistic contributions to music and art,” and its folk art collection, which, totaling at 298 pieces, is the largest in the world. Since it is a chain venue, ticket prices tend to be more expensive than other venues’ on this list, but the chance to enjoy a big-name act in the House of Blues’ uniquely intimate and colorful atmosphere is worth it.

Upcoming shows: Animal Collective, M83, Fiona Apple

Hi Ho Lounge, 2239 St. Claude Ave.

A hidden New Orleans gem, the Hi Ho is a great find for students who don’t mind taking the bus. Skirting the border of the Bywater neighborhood, Hi Ho combines the relaxed and hip atmosphere of the city’s best bars with some exciting, up-and-coming bands. The venue abounds with felicitous touches: a chandelier resembles individual sperms wriggling toward an ovum, and cheap Christmas lights adorn the modest stage. The sparse attendance at Hi Ho shows invariably works in favor of any Tulane student. The relaxed environment fosters conversation, not hoarse yelling.

Upcoming shows: Raw Revolution, The Spiritual Bat, The Stooges Music Group

Republic, 828 South Peters St.

Republic is where concerts turn into massive parties. The venue regularly hosts BASSIK, a bass music bonanza that has featured such heavy hitters as Flux Pavilion, Crizzly and Borgore. This season, BASSIK brings Alvin Risk to Republic, but the venue also offers a good deal of less electronically inclined bands. Republic hosts many prominent booty-shaking bounce music artists.

Upcoming shows: Yeasayer, Nicky da B, Alvin Risk

Howlin’ Wolf, 907 South Peters St.

The Howlin’ Wolf isn’t just an intimate, energetic venue that features a wide range of diverse bands. It’s a New Orleans landmark. No Tulane student should complete the year without at least one visit to the Wolf for a classic brass show or maybe some local hip-hop. The Howlin’ Wolf also offers the Comedy Gumbeaux series, in which local comics take the stage to drop some laughs on an eager, animated crowd.

Upcoming shows: Hot 8 Brass Band, Headspill, Vox and the Hound