Navy triumphs over Tulane in final quarter

Quarterback Johnathan Brantley makes a long pass downfield. This was Brantley’s first game as a starter for the Green Wave.

Jared Chado, Contributing Reporter

After a neck-and-neck game, Navy defeated Tulane 21-14 Saturday in the Green Wave’s first American Athletic Conference game of the season.

While Tulane was able to gain 240 yards on the ground, Navy’s superior performance in the fourth quarter allowed them to edge out the Wave.

After a slow, scoreless first quarter, the Midshipmen (3-0 AAC) broke the tie with a 6-yard touchdown run on a 16-play drive. The Wave was unfazed, however, and responded with a touchdown on its subsequent drive to tie the game at 7-7.

In the second half, Navy jumped back on top with a 4-yard rushing touchdown by senior Shawn White. Kicker Bennett Moehring missed the subsequent extra point, giving the Midshipmen a 13-7 lead.

Tulane, specifically running back Dontrell Hilliard, wouldn’t allow the Midshipmen to retain this lead for long, however. On the ensuing drive, Hilliard broke out an electric 36-yard touchdown run, leaving a hoard of future Naval Officers in his wake and making the score 14-13.

The game was at a stalemate for the majority of the fourth quarter until Navy quarterback Will Worth scored a rushing touchdown, and two-point conversion, with three minutes left in the game, making the score 21-14.

“The were really killing us with [Worth’s drive], that was the key to the game, we really couldn’t stop it,”  senior defensive tackle Tanzel Smart said.

Tulane was unable come up with an answer to this score, and any chances of a comeback ended when quarterback Glen Cuiellette was sacked on fourth down with 2:04 left. Navy was able to run the clock out for the remainder of the game.

This week’s loss against Navy is reminiscent of week one, when Tulane was unable to capitalize on a last-minute opportunity to beat Wake Forest, which also ended with a sack on the fourth down.

“If [my play] wasn’t good enough to get a win, then I don’t think I played very well,” freshman quarterback Jonathan Brantley said. “The offense is only to go as far as I take it, and I didn’t do enough tonight.” 

The Green Wave (1-2) seeks to redeem itself and earn its second win of the season this Saturday night at home against UL-Lafayette (2-1).