Wave faces Southern at home opener

Clara Harrington and Tess Riley, Sports Editors

Tulane football will take on Southern University Saturday, Sept. 10 at 7 p.m. in its first home game of the season.

Tulane ended its past season 3-9 American Athletic Conference, and is currently 0-1 AAC after losing its season opener to Wake Forest 7-3 Atlantic Coast Conference. Southern is also 0-1 ACC, falling to the University of Louisiana Monroe 38-21 in its first game of the season. Southern finished the 2015 season with a 6-5, 6-3 Southwestern Athletic Conference record.

This is the first time Southern will face the Wave in Yulman Stadium. In their two previous match-ups, the two Pelican state teams competed at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. The Green Wave will enter its third game against Southern with a 2-0 record. 

If Tulane, who is currently favored to win by 28 points, succeeds in this endeavor, it will be its first victory in a home opener since beating Jackson State back in the 2013 season.

The main focus for defense this game will be to continue its work from the last game by maintaining a strong defensive line that doesn’t allow players into the end-zone.

The last game won by the Green Wave was a 34-31 triumph against Army at West Point on Nov. 14, 2015. 

The tailgate will begin on the Lavin-Bernick Center at 3 p.m. and will end at 6:30 p.m. Kick-off will be at 7 p.m. CST.

Those watching the game at home can tune into ESPN3.

Tickets for Tulane’s game against Southern are now available and complimentary for all Tulane students with a valid Splashcard at the student ticket table on Brown Field, beginning at 5 p.m. on Saturday while supplies last.