Student newspaper serving Tulane University, Uptown New Orleans

The Tulane Hullabaloo

Progressive Voter Coalition questionnaire for USG executive board candidates

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






The Progressive Voter Coalition submitted this survey and the candidates’ responses to The Hullabaloo. The Hullabaloo did not edit or alter any content. 

This week, the Progressive Voter Coalition sent a 20-question survey to the candidates running for positions on the 2017-2018 Undergraduate Student Government Executive Board. All of the candidates responded. The questions were formulated by leaders of Generating Excellence Now and Tomorrow in Education (GENTE), Gamma Rho Lambda, Queer Student Alliance (QSA), Indian Association of Tulane University (IATU), Queer Feminist Collective (QFC), Students Organizing Against Racism at Tulane (SOAR), Amnesty International, Sexual Aggression Peer Hotline and Education (SAPHE), Students United for Reproductive Justice (SURJ), Tulane College Democrats, NAMI On Campus, USG’s Diversity and Inclusive Excellence Committee (DIEC), Asian American Student Union (AASU), and others. Their answers can be found below.

Sam Levin, President

Do you support giving more funding to Multicultural Council (MCC) and Gender and Sexuality Advisory Council (GSAC) organizations?

Yes. I believe that these groups have not received enough support at Tulane, yet are doing some of the most important work on campus right now organizing to empower those that historically have been disempowered. Not only do I hope to encourage funding for the financial sustainability of these organizations, I plan to work with them closely for insured institutional stability and equity at this school, while also ensuring their needs are met beyond that of fiscal responsibility.

Do you support the list of demands published by the Black Student Union and Students Organizing Against Racism in 2015? https://www.change.org/p/tulane-university-tulane-black-student-union-s-list-of-demands

Yes. Not only did I read and agree with the original list of demands, I stood during the demonstration at Pocket Park and felt further galvanized to be the best self-definition of an ally possible. I actually found myself in the picture on the attached website!

Do you plan on talking to leaders of MCC and GSAC orgs to address issues of marginalization?

Yes, I believe that speaking to leaders of these groups is one of the best ways to avoid tokenizing marginalized peoples and focus on truly celebrating and defending diversity. By communicating openly and frequently, we can directly address the true goals of MCC and GSAC orgs to make Tulane safer and more inclusive as an institution, an institution which does not see and discuss diversity as a buzzword or quota, but as an absolute necessity.

How does intersectionality relate to your experience on campus?

I think intersectionality is not only necessary but critical to work towards solving issues of social justice and a greater scope, on campus. When we address problems as one-dimensional, we solve the problem in a way that is inherently biased and non-inclusive; I believe, that by openly accepting intersectionality, student groups and organizations can collaborate to get to the root of Tulane and world issues, as opposed to surface level solutions, and in my three years with USG, I feel that the greatest measures and changes for good have come from intersectional approaches.

What will you do to improve the lives of students of color at Tulane and make this campus safe and welcoming for all students?

I think an essential part of improving the lives of students of color requires concerted effort to include these students in the decision making processes and important “behind-the-scenes” dialogue. When it comes to USG, I want to reach out to MCC and GSAC whenever a senate position is open to ensure improved representation in USG, and when it comes to campus issues in general. I also feel that it is not the duty of people of color to approach me to feel included and accepted in these leadership spaces, and so, I will actively engage with them and let them know that, to me, their voices, opinions, and livelihoods will always be crucial.

Do you believe students of color and of marginalized backgrounds should have safe spaces on campus?

Yes, absolutely. Safe spaces cannot be reduced to the trivial argument that they perpetuate political correctness, and need to be created and sustained on campus.

Do you support a physical expansion of the O?

Yes, I believe the O is an organization of such magnitude and importance that it requires more space to operate more effectively and reach even more students.

Do you believe sexual violence is an issue at Tulane?

My stance on this issue is unyielding- sexual violence is not only “an issue,” it is an issue of incredible urgency that needs to become a priority engaging the entire Tulane community. I tabled for the Sexual Misconduct Climate Survey because I believe that students confronting the realities of sexual misconduct, including the resources Tulane has to offer, is an important part of reducing rates of sexual violence on campus and know that continued student activism against rape culture will be what truly brings about the needed change.

What have you done in your time at here to offer support/raise awareness for survivors of sexual aggression and what steps will you take to ensure their protection?

I have been involved in Take Back the Night, and since then have taken the One Wave Pledge and practiced being an active bystander or supportive friend whenever needed- I consistently remind myself to be a Green Dot because I know it works. I want to focus on prevention, and plan to do that by making space for SAPHE members to be heard at Student Safety Committee Meetings and Student Health Advisory Committee Meetings. I also want to put the responsibility on the rest of the Tulane community, not just LGBTQ+, public health communities, or other minority orgs that bring awareness to this collegiate epidemic. Finally, I will acknowledge and support the work done by students and staff far more involved and knowledgeable in this subject by offering whatever they may need from me.

Do you believe mental health services should be expanded on campus?

Yes, as a member of NAMI and someone who has personally worked on initiatives regarding mental health on campus, I am very passionate about improving the culture to reduce mental health stigma. This year I worked with multiple organizations to create the cathartic and engaging finals study break, YELLBC, in order to advertise mental health resources on campus and build the intimacy and trust it takes to discuss mental health. Events like YELLBC take a fun and engaging approach to teach our students about important issues at Tulane and plan to create more events like this in the future, while also supporting student run initiatives which work to de-stigmatize help-seeking behaviors and demand greater resource access on campus.

Do you support the policy/funding proposal to provide transportation to off-campus healthcare appointments?

Yes, I am a sponsor of current USG legislation that will be on the table Tuesday (the 14th), which tries to accomplish just that.

Do you support expanding student options for birth control and abortion on and off campus?

Yes, I believe that the freedom to choose but also be accompanied with the ability to make that choice in a healthy and supportive environment, and birth control is a health decision that Tulane should ensure is readily available for its students. As a public health major, this is not only a topic that is very important to me, but one of the most basic public health initiatives possible.

Do you believe that Tulane’s service learning program is sufficient for having a lasting, positive, progressive impact on our city?

No, though I will say that some service learning classes try to reach this ideal goal of lasting impact, and in their greater success, other service learnings should be more strictly modeled after their structures. Service learning can benefit from being better organized and more integrated as an aspect of a Tulane education, while being utilized in a way that features education on how to enter and engage with communities that we do not necessarily belong to and dismantles the ideals of “white saviorism” in conjunction with providing realistic allyship.

Have you taken an LGBTQ 101 or Trans 101 training since coming to Tulane, or something equivalent?

I have taken LGBTQ 101 through USG training, led by Caroline Scott, around these issues but have not taken Trans 101. With that said, if elected I will definitely make attending Trans 101 a priority.

Have you attended an Undoing Racism workshop in the past? If no, will you commit to attending the fall workshop?

No, but I will commit to attending in the fall. I understand the importance of this workshop and will continue to learn more about these issues in order to be an effective President.

Do you support mandatory trainings focused on inclusivity for members of USG?

Yes, I have taken multiple trainings as an Executive Board Member of USG. I benefited so much from the trainings that I went beyond the 3-training requirement and absolutely support their status as mandatory.

Do you plan on strongly supporting and doing your best to attend events led by MCC and GSAC orgs for the duration of your term?

Yes, I hope to attend as many events as possible as USG President. I have attended multiple rallies and other events throughout my time at Tulane, and USG in particular should be more involved with and supportive of these organizations and their events, and one of the biggest steps to support is showing up.

What resources do you believe need to be expanded for minority students?

I believe that the resources on campus need to be readdressed and restructured to inherently benefit all students equally. This includes trainings for Professors, Faculty, Advisors, CAPS employees, and students. I also want USG to be more accessible, which includes acknowledging the need for diverse narratives and perspectives when creating, amending, or defending student resources to fit the needs of the student population.

Do you support the Sodexo catering policy for providing food that creates a monopoly that specifically hurts multicultural organizations?

I do not support Sodexo, yet Tulane has an ironclad contract with the company for the foreseeable future; however, once Tulane finishes the improvements for the LBC expansion, I want to push the idea of separating from Sodexo and seeking more equitable and sustainable companies to cater on campus; I currently do not know how to sever from Sodexo, but am open and willing to learn best how to make that a possibility.

Do you believe that multicultural organizations should have the ability to have events off campus if they wish?

Yes. Though I understand the possible risk Tulane faces in encouraging events off campus, I believe that the University can focus on making the events as safe as possible rather than dismissing them as inherently unsafe.

Anything you would like to add?

These questions were important for me to answer, as they helped me specifically articulate the ways in which I hope to improve Tulane and USG in regards to issues of gender, sexuality, race, violence etc. If elected as President, these issues will be at the forefront of my agenda and I am excited to cooperate with and provide support to these essential student organizations and students in general. Working with the people I have met from diverse spheres of Tulane has definitely improved my Tulane University experience and I hope to continue to show my support. Thank you for giving me the chance to answer these questions! I would only like to add that in terms of sexual aggression on campus, I think a SANE nurse could be of huge help to our campus.


Bobby Mannis, President

Do you support giving more funding to Multicultural Council (MCC) and Gender and Sexuality Advisory Council (GSAC) organizations?

Yes. I will require new money being brought back from ASB be earmarked specifically for MCC and GSAC organizations before passing a budget. I will stop the process if these funds are not spread out equitably.

Do you support the list of demands published by the Black Student Union and Students Organizing Against Racism in 2015? https://www.change.org/p/tulane-university-tulane-black-student-union-s-list-of-demands

Yes. I have incorporated some points in my platform to ensure I am committed to achieving them.

Do you plan on talking to leaders of MCC and GSAC orgs to address issues of marginalization?

Yes. I have spent time in the past speaking with leaders in MCC and GSAC orgs and plan to do so in order to develop my platform. I understand marginalized people are not a monolith on this campus, and intend to ask leaders about their experiences rather than expecting they know the experience of every marginalized person.

How does intersectionality relate to your experience on campus?

An intersectional approach is central to my platform. I have spent time working on sexual violence resource mapping, intentionally interviewing marginalized students and considering differences in threats based on identity during the research process. I am a feminist and strive to be intersectional myself.

What will you do to improve the lives of students of color at Tulane and make this campus safe and welcoming for all students?

I will work to change the culture of USG to make it a welcoming place for all students. I believe students of color can best represent their needs, and intend to push the senate to work directly with their communities, hire cabinet members of color, increase funding for MCC and GSAC organizations, and increase space for the O.

Do you believe students of color and of marginalized backgrounds should have safe spaces on campus?

Yes.

Do you support a physical expansion of the O?

Yes. I have noted this in my platform to ensure my commitment.

Do you believe sexual violence is an issue at Tulane?

Yes.

What have you done in your time at here to offer support/raise awareness for survivors of sexual aggression and what steps will you take to ensure their protection?

I have spent the last semester interviewing Greek leaders, presidents of SAPHE, and administrators in a sexual violence resource-mapping project. I will only pass a budget that adequately supports SAPHE. I intend to appoint a SAPHE member to the cabinet to ensure the student organization with the most experience supporting survivors helps to guide policy directly.

Do you believe mental health services should be expanded on campus?

Yes. We need to further destigmatize resource use and ensure CAPS is expanded to meet the high demand for services. We must hire more mental health workers of color.

Do you support the policy/funding proposal to provide transportation to off-campus healthcare appointments?

Yes.

Do you support expanding student options for birth control and abortion on and off campus?

Yes.

Do you believe that Tulane’s service learning program is sufficient for having a lasting, positive, progressive impact on our city?

I think we can do a lot more. I believe we need to develop a program than requires students to make a commitment over a longer period of time to ensure they an actually serve the community in a manner that is helpful. More training before entering communities is also necessary.

Have you taken an LGBTQ 101 or Trans 101 training since coming to Tulane, or something equivalent?

No, but I plan to.

Have you attended an Undoing Racism workshop in the past? If no, will you commit to attending the fall workshop?

No, but I plan to attend the Spring workshop directly after elections.

Do you support mandatory trainings focused on inclusivity for members of USG?

Yes, and I want to expand them in order to change the culture of USG. I believe a continuous process of training rather than a few one-off experiences can help make the student government more inclusive and intentional.

Do you plan on strongly supporting and doing your best to attend events led by MCC and GSAC orgs for the duration of your term?

Yes. I will attend myself and plan to individually invite members of the senate to join. I believe in addition to mandatory trainings, USG members should be pushed socially to attend events put on by their constituents, and believe as a leader it will be my responsibility to serve as an example.

What resources do you believe need to be expanded for minority students?

Space for the O

Mental health workers

Student organizations budgets

Change in culture of institutions of power on campus

Access to transportation for healthcare

Scholarship and financial aid

A SANE nurse on campus

Access to campus and administration leaders

Leadership on campus in traditionally marginalizing spaces

This list is not exhaustive. I do not pretend to know all the resources needed for minority students, and want minority students to speak for themselves.

Do you support the Sodexo catering policy for providing food that creates a monopoly that specifically hurts multicultural organizations?

No, I believe the policy hurts events and does not recognize cultural and ethnic diversity on campus and within organizations.

Do you believe that multicultural organizations should have the ability to have events off campus if they wish?

Yes. I respect that they need to be safe, and have every belief they can be off campus.

Anything you would like to add?

I have not engaged every progressive organization and community enough on this campus. I understand that I am blind to many of the challenges faced by students on this campus, and hope I can bring on student leaders to the cabinet to inform the administration and make better policy.

I want to be the president for every student on this campus, and that means reaching out and listening to everyone, making sure they are able to speak for themselves. I am committed to choosing a diverse cabinet, but I will need more help from progressive organizations on this campus. If and when mistakes are made by the student government, I need y’all to demand we do better. I want an activist student government pushed by the goal of being a force for good, and want to be curbed by the needs and desires of the student body. I will be a proactive partner reaching out to you for advice and help and opinions.

I am committed to making Tulane a better place. I believe you are too you for your communities and the school. I want your partnership, and want you to help push me in the right direction.


Erin Blake, Executive Vice President

Do you support giving more funding to Multicultural Council (MCC) and Gender and Sexuality Advisory Council (GSAC) organizations?

Yes, I fully support giving more funding to groups, such as MCC and GSAC organizations, that work with students traditionally underrepresented on campus. I have full confidence that I will work well with the VPF, along with the rest of the executive board, to allocate funds that will help these groups become a more prominent presence on our campus.

Do you support the list of demands published by the Black Student Union and Students Organizing Against Racism in 2015? https://www.change.org/p/tulane-university-tulane-black-student-union-s-list-of-demands

Yes.

Do you plan on talking to leaders of MCC and GSAC orgs to address issues of marginalization?

Yes, I am running on a platform of accountability because I wholeheartedly believe that marginalized groups need to have stronger voice on this campus, and I am dedicating myself to making sure that USG leads the charge on that. One idea I have is to work with our Director of Communications to begin a Student Orgs Spotlight on social media, and I think this is the perfect way for USG to show our support for marginalized groups and support for their programs, without tokenizing them.

How does intersectionality relate to your experience on campus?

I have been fortunate enough not to experience the unjust prejudice of these issues in my life or on this campus, and I think it would be dishonest to say that I have, but I have and will always dedicate myself to be a supporter of those who do experience this hatred throughout my time at Tulane and for the rest of my life. I have worked to become an ally and will further commit myself to become an ally of any person who has been a victim of this bias.

What will you do to improve the lives of students of color at Tulane and make this campus safe and welcoming for all students?

I will reach out to student groups, specifically those representing students of color, in conjunction with the MCC chair to work on legislation and event programming to help show more support for those students on this campus. I will also show my support through my physical attendance and continual support in trainings and events put on by these organizations.

Do you believe students of color and of marginalized backgrounds should have safe spaces on campus?

Yes, and I would love to work with any student on finding more spaces around campus to conserve and enhance solely for this purpose.

Do you support a physical expansion of the O?

Yes, I think this is an imperative issue and would love to work on this initiative in the upcoming year.

Do you believe sexual violence is an issue at Tulane?

Yes.

What have you done in your time at here to offer support/raise awareness for survivors of sexual aggression and what steps will you take to ensure their protection?

Sexual violence is an extremely prevalent issue on this campus, one that plagues Tulane on a far greater scale than the national average. I have been so honored to receive the endorsement of the campaign “Not On My Campus,” which reaches out to educate students on sexual violence, because of my support and dedication to their cause. If elected, I hope to work to increase Tulane’s resources for not only survivors of sexual assault, but to also increase workshops and educational materials for preventative measures. We need to be PROACTIVE on this issue, not reactive. I hope to work to incorporate something like this into our New Student Orientation events, to ensure students coming in are educated and aware of how to create a safe and healthy environment here at Tulane.

Do you believe mental health services should be expanded on campus?

Yes, I absolutely believe mental health services should be increased, and we need to work diligently to destigmatize this issue that affects countless people on our campus. A three week wait for CAPS, the only physical mental health center on campus, is completely unacceptable and needs to be changed.

Do you support the policy/funding proposal to provide transportation to off-campus healthcare appointments?

Yes, I am proud to say that I am a sponsor on this legislation, and am so grateful for Corley Miller and their incredible committee for taking this initiative on.

Do you support expanding student options for birth control and abortion on and off campus?

Yes, as only 1 of 2 women running for the executive board this year, I am incredibly dedicated to standing up for women’s rights, and acting as a voice for all women on this campus. We need to ensure that Tulane is a place where women are healthy and provided with all the services they need to better themselves and their futures.

Do you believe that Tulane’s service learning program is sufficient for having a lasting, positive, progressive impact on our city?

I believe the service learning program is good in theory, but I feel it can be done in a much more beneficial way for the New Orleans community around us. I feel there needs to be more integration of learning about the New Orleans community. If students are exposed to the history of this city, and how far it has come in its time, they will be better prepared to serve it and understand the lasting effects of their choices on its people.

Have you taken an LGBTQ 101 or Trans 101 training since coming to Tulane, or something equivalent?

Yes.

Have you attended an Undoing Racism workshop in the past? If no, will you commit to attending the fall workshop?

No, I have not been able to attend this workshop thus far, but look forward to attending the one this upcoming semester, whether I am elected or not.

Do you support mandatory trainings focused on inclusivity for members of USG?

Yes, I have focused my campaign heavily on acceptance within USG, and feel these trainings would be a great way to unify students within our student government.

Do you plan on strongly supporting and doing your best to attend events led by MCC and GSAC orgs for the duration of your term?

Yes, I would also like to increase USG support and co-programming with these organizations. I think this would be a great way to represent all the students of Tulane, and to reach more students with this message.

What resources do you believe need to be expanded for minority students?

I think the O is the most prevalent resource that needs to be expanded for minority students. I would also like to encourage more leadership positions within student government, along with in other organizations.

Do you support the Sodexo catering policy for providing food that creates a monopoly that specifically hurts multicultural organizations?

No, when I was tabling at “Complaints for a Cookie” with USG I was made aware that Sodexo owns the rights to many international staples, such as white rice, that directly impact the fundraising events of multicultural organizations. I would like to work with the MCC chair to see what we can do in conjunction with the University to create exceptions for student organizations in Sodexo’s contract.

Do you believe that multicultural organizations should have the ability to have events off campus if they wish?

Yes, I support the desires of the MCC organizations, along with any student organizations, to hold events off campus that will be beneficial to their members and their community.

Anything you would like to add?

I may not have experienced everything that students on this campus have, but I am more than willing and ready to fight for causes that students want to see changed at Tulane. I will never judge, never criticize, and will always be an ally for students who need advice, need help, or just need a friend, no matter how this election turns out.


Manolo Baca, Executive Vice President

Do you support giving more funding to Multicultural Council (MCC) and Gender and Sexuality Advisory Council (GSAC) organizations?

While this is a multi-dimensional issue, there is no doubt that the current funding structure makes it disproportionately hard for GSAC and MCC organizations to access the funds they need to operate. I would push for the efficient mapping of all sources of funding on campus, and the expansion of the co-programming fund.

Do you support the list of demands published by the Black Student Union and Students Organizing Against Racism in 2015? https://www.change.org/p/tulane-university-tulane-black-student-union-s-list-of-demands

Yes, and I promise to focus my efforts on three initiatives that would advance the demands. 1. The creation of an emergency fund for first-generation, low-income, and international students. 2. The expansion of the O. 3. The creation of campus-wide USG-CPS programming centered around how Tulane students understand service, and how we can do it in a more intent way.

Do you plan on talking to leaders of MCC and GSAC orgs to address issues of marginalization?

Yes I do plan on talking to leaders of MCC and GSAC orgs in order to help address issues of marginalization. No one should force another person to speak, or share their experiences. However, something I plan on doing is promoting collaborative, empathetic avenues of communication, which will facilitate the development of genuine personal relationships.

How does intersectionality relate to your experience on campus?

I am a Latino, a single nationality Nicaraguan citizen, and a non-native English speaker. However, I am also white and a heterosexual male. As such, I hold privilege in most social settings, but I am at an institutional disadvantage because I have less access to scholarships, my academic performance is evaluated in my second language, and my ability to work in the United States after Tulane is unclear.

What will you do to improve the lives of students of color at Tulane and make this campus safe and welcoming for all students?

Allowing students of color to develop a community has to be the first step in making this campus safe and welcoming for them. However, this cannot be done without proper access to funding. Thus, working to get these clubs more funds and fostering more avenues of collaboration among them will be one of my top priorities.

Do you believe students of color and of marginalized backgrounds should have safe spaces on campus?

Yes, the Mosaic Lounge should be greatly revamped and more safe spaces should be created.

Do you support a physical expansion of the O?

Yes, an office that serves as a resource to around a quarter of the student population should not be that small.

Do you believe sexual violence is an issue at Tulane?

Yes, it is definitely one of the most important issues at Tulane, and work has to be done to both continue changing the culture around it and increasing preventative programming that is more intentional.

What have you done in your time at here to offer support/raise awareness for survivors of sexual aggression and what steps will you take to ensure their protection?

I have done One Wave training, attended programming put on by the Title IX coordinator, and I tried to be a major advocate for getting students to fill out the Campus Climate Survey. However, that is not enough. I will push for more programming that is developed with input from institutional (Title IX Coordinator), organizational (SAPHE), and student (both survivors that volunteer, and students in general) actors to ensure that the conversations around sexual violence are more genuine and intentional.

Do you believe mental health services should be expanded on campus?

Absolutely, CAPS has been understaffed and underfunded for too long. The first step is holding administration more accountable for the health and wellness of all Tulane students, and making sure this is at the top of their priority list. The second step is to continue on the efforts made by organizations such as NAMI in order to humanize mental disorders and other neurodiverse people.

Do you support the policy/funding proposal to provide transportation to off-campus healthcare appointments?

Yes, the proposal is extremely pressing and well thought out, and if elected I promise to provide my unyielding support to the leaders working on it. It is important to ensure that we make administration accountable for our health, and that this project moves from a pilot program to a staple of the health services offered.

Do you support expanding student options for birth control and abortion on and off campus?

Yes.

Do you believe that Tulane’s service learning program is sufficient for having a lasting, positive, progressive impact on our city?

No, while CPS does a great job of training the students that work directly with the Center most Tulane students that do service do not have a direct connection to CPS. As a result, often times the community service being done is not intentional, so a campus wide conversation about service led by both USG and CPS is necessary.

Have you taken an LGBTQ 101 or Trans 101 training since coming to Tulane, or something equivalent?

Yes, I took an LGBTQ 101 training last semester.

Have you attended an Undoing Racism workshop in the past? If no, will you commit to attending the fall workshop?

No I have not, and yes I do commit to attending one in the fall.

Do you support mandatory trainings focused on inclusivity for members of USG?

Yes, wholeheartedly.

Do you plan on strongly supporting and doing your best to attend events led by MCC and GSAC orgs for the duration of your term?

Yes.

What resources do you believe need to be expanded for minority students?

Scholarships, career preparation targeted for them, and funding for the Office of Multicultural Affairs, Center for Academic Equity, and Office of International Students and Scholars should all be greatly expanded

Do you support the Sodexo catering policy for providing food that creates a monopoly that specifically hurts multicultural organizations?

No, food related to organizations’ programming is not always just to feed the attendees, but is oftentimes an important part of the integrity of the event itself. Catering policies should definitely acknowledge that, and accommodate to the needs of multicultural organizations by allowing them to cater their own food.

Do you believe that multicultural organizations should have the ability to have events off campus if they wish?

Yes, as long as they work with Motor Pool and use other university resources to make the event accessible to all Tulane students.

Anything you would like to add?


Andy Snow, Vice President for Student Life

Do you support giving more funding to Multicultural Council (MCC) and Gender and Sexuality Advisory Council (GSAC) organizations?

Yes.

Do you support the list of demands published by the Black Student Union and Students Organizing Against Racism in 2015? https://www.change.org/p/tulane-university-tulane-black-student-union-s-list-of-demands

Yes.

Do you plan on talking to leaders of MCC and GSAC orgs to address issues of marginalization?

Yes. I plan on representing every student justly and equally by channeling and embracing their genuine values and passions. Thus, no student will be treated or viewed as a “token” student.

How does intersectionality relate to your experience on campus?

I have witnessed intersectionality during my experience on this campus, but I have not been a bystander to it. I have worked to help ensure that all students, no matter their differences or social identity, are treated equally.

What will you do to improve the lives of students of color at Tulane and make this campus safe and welcoming for all students?

I will consistently meet with organizations representing students of color to ensure that their voices are heard and their concerns are addressed. From there, I will work to drive these ideas to action to create a safe and welcoming campus for all students.

Do you believe students of color and of marginalized backgrounds should have safe spaces on campus?

Yes.

Do you support a physical expansion of the O?

Yes.

Do you believe sexual violence is an issue at Tulane?

Yes, sexual assault is absolutely an issue at Tulane.

What have you done in your time at here to offer support/raise awareness for survivors of sexual aggression and what steps will you take to ensure their protection?

First and foremost, I have always been a shoulder to lean on and someone to talk to for survivors of sexual aggression. I have always been highly conscious and actively cognizant to the subject of sexual assault, and I have advised my peers to do the same in order to build awareness throughout Tulane’s community. I hope to use the platform of VPSL to implement concrete formalities to ensure the protection of survivors of sexual aggression. These formalities include expanding the resources for student organizations and administrative resources that primarily deal with sexual assault awareness and mental health awareness.

Do you believe mental health services should be expanded on campus?

I do believe that mental health services should be expanded. I hope to improve appointment efficiency and availability, as these are the most direct factors to develop these services. I also believe that a general culture change across campus is necessary to bring more awareness, understanding, and action to the topic.

Do you support the policy/funding proposal to provide transportation to off-campus healthcare appointments?

Yes.

Do you support expanding student options for birth control and abortion on and off campus?

Yes.

Do you believe that Tulane’s service learning program is sufficient for having a lasting, positive, progressive impact on our city?

I am fully in support of Tulane’s service learning program, but I also believe the program can be developed with relative educational background of the projects we take on and the communities we help to fully understand our purpose and to be highly conscious of our position within the program.

Have you taken an LGBTQ 101 or Trans 101 training since coming to Tulane, or something equivalent?

I have not, but I plan to.

Have you attended an Undoing Racism workshop in the past? If no, will you commit to attending the fall workshop?

No, but I will commit to attending the fall workshop.

Do you support mandatory trainings focused on inclusivity for members of USG?

Yes.

Do you plan on strongly supporting and doing your best to attend events led by MCC and GSAC orgs for the duration of your term?

Yes.

What resources do you believe need to be expanded for minority students?

I aim to expand all necessary, desired resources for minority students. Examples of these efforts include an expansion of The O, a development of The Mosaic Lounge, and necessary funding for LGBTIQA programs.

Do you support the Sodexo catering policy for providing food that creates a monopoly that specifically hurts multicultural organizations?

I do not believe in any type of activity that specifically hurts multicultural organizations.

Do you believe that multicultural organizations should have the ability to have events off campus if they wish?

Yes.

Anything you would like to add?


Khristyan Trejo, Vice President for Student Life

Do you support giving more funding to Multicultural Council (MCC) and Gender and Sexuality Advisory Council (GSAC) organizations?

Yes, as a current active organizer focused on increasing visibility for organizations like GENTE, I will continue to make this a priority in order for these organizations to continue the outreach necessary for their success.

Do you support the list of demands published by the Black Student Union and Students Organizing Against Racism in 2015? https://www.change.org/p/tulane-university-tulane-black-student-union-s-list-of-demands

Yes. I was present when BSU presented their demands during the Call for Unity in order to show solidarity with marginalized folks. Increasing opportunities for these communities requires active engagement, which I am positive that I am focused on continuing to do.

Do you plan on talking to leaders of MCC and GSAC orgs to address issues of marginalization?

Yes. As a queer student of color, I understand the importance of actively being involved with these organizations, but I also plan on increasing forums for students-at-large to be involved with USG and its processes in order to provide transparency without the erasure of what these organizations envision.

How does intersectionality relate to your experience on campus?

The intersections of my identity have shaped my organizing on this campus. Whether it was being the recipient of racist/homophobic remarks, or understanding how some of my privileges can be used to combat other forms of oppression, my identity is visible to other students, and that’s something I will continuously use to help others.

What will you do to improve the lives of students of color at Tulane and make this campus safe and welcoming for all students?

Increasing representation for students of color within USG, but also increasing opportunities for them to be involved with USG legislation and its implementation is a goal I am already working to address. Increasing town hall meetings and student forums next year will help members of USG understand the importance of continuously working for this change. It’s not about who is in Senate or USG, but the voices outside of them that matter the most, and I’m confident that I can put the pressure necessary for these issues to be a central focus for the USG.

Do you believe students of color and of marginalized backgrounds should have safe spaces on campus?

Yes, I believe that safe spaces are always important and should be reached. I’m currently a CEA and most of my work has been to create those spaces necessary for students to have effective dialogue about the material realities for some people and how we can challenge them, together.

Do you support a physical expansion of the O?

Yes. I am a student who is constantly at the O and understand the negative implications such a small space has and how it shapes the way Tulane as an institution views marginalized students on this campus.

Do you believe sexual violence is an issue at Tulane?

Sexual violence is an issue that affects both you and me, and we all play a role in combatting the evident stigma surrounding sexual assault. Since this is a big issue for Tulane and the campus culture, I plan on creating relationships with community partners in order to increase the access to resources for survivors, such as counseling and support services that can be equipped to offer them now.

What have you done in your time at here to offer support/raise awareness for survivors of sexual aggression and what steps will you take to ensure their protection?

Increasing connections with community partners for resources that survivors may not have access to now has become a priority for me and my mission. There were personal events that happened this year that have shaped the way I view sexual assault and I understand that this is something we should all be participating in, together. Providing a space for SAPHE to discuss intersectional issues and how it affects their organization has been something that I’ve started doing and promise to continue working on for our mission to challenge this.

Do you believe mental health services should be expanded on campus?

Yes– the current stigma behind mental health has impacted the resources available for students. Mental health is an intersectional issue for marginalized students, which requires a focus on increasing staff of color, increasing safe spaces in CAPS like a group for queer students of color, and providing a framework for accessible resources — waiting weeks to see a counselor is not enough.

Do you support the policy/funding proposal to provide transportation to off-campus healthcare appointments?

Yes — the work that the current SHAC is doing for this is so important for students and accessibility with healthcare. I will promise to dedicate myself into making this a reality for our students, with or without the position, because this is an issue that literally impacts anyone on campus. Showing visibility for this support is important and I hope that people both campaigning and currently in USG should be actively participating in.

Do you support expanding student options for birth control and abortion on and off campus?

Yes, access to resources are always important and should be expanded for places like restrooms around campus and within academic buildings. Increasing access for people of all genders to know their institution supports them is part of an overall movement to remind people that they matter.

Do you believe that Tulane’s service learning program is sufficient for having a lasting, positive, progressive impact on our city?

No. I think service learning has the potential to make this happen, but am a firm believer that there should be an increase in workshops with CPS to remind students about communities they’re entering, how to be an ally and source of support, and how service learning is effective for both parties. Students can learn so much from the communities they’re working with and we should be transparent with service learning courses to make sure this is as effective as possible.

Have you taken an LGBTQ 101 or Trans 101 training since coming to Tulane, or something equivalent?

Yes, in fact, I’ve facilitated a workshop regarding how intersectionality impacts queerness and what that looks like for all communities. Student and faculty training in these areas are critical components to make sure organizations like the USG are being inclusive and aware of the policies they’re talking.

Have you attended an Undoing Racism workshop in the past? If no, will you commit to attending the fall workshop?

Yes, I actually went last year and understood the nuances of issues like colorism in order to better address communities like my own with race issues we should continue working on. As an organizer who has visibly worked on racial issues around campus, I can promise this to continue being part of me and my identity.

Do you support mandatory trainings focused on inclusivity for members of USG?

I think mandatory trainings are necessary for students in the USG to understand issues that may or may not impact their communities/identities. I think the fact that USG understands diversity and inclusivity is an ongoing issue to work on, so making these mandatory for transparency is a good mechanism to get students uncomfortable and willing to have the difficult, but necessary, conversations needed for social change.

Do you plan on strongly supporting and doing your best to attend events led by MCC and GSAC orgs for the duration of your term?

Yes, not only is this needed, but students should be actively seeking to engage with these councils/organizations. Even the USG should be working toward making these events more visible to the student body, while attending these events to show their own support.

What resources do you believe need to be expanded for minority students?

There’s a lot of resources that marginalized students need. This includes an increase in space for meeting, being able to comfortably see staff of color in places like CAPS and the Student Health Center. Student organizations should also be receiving an increase in monetary funding from the USG in order to make more events and work knowing their projects are supported.

Do you support the Sodexo catering policy for providing food that creates a monopoly that specifically hurts multicultural organizations?

No, as president of GENTE, my organization has actually faced this issue at hand, and this is something I am prepared to tackle now. Sodexo’s catering policy is designed to target multicultural organizations who would prefer to get food locally that isn’t a single-option. I know that ‘Taco Salad’ is not sufficient for an organization that focuses on all Latin American communities and this is an issue that needs to be addressed now.

Do you believe that multicultural organizations should have the ability to have events off campus if they wish?

Yes, multicultural organizations should be given opportunities that other organizations have access to. Our fight for equity is not done and being able to have these events is important for their mission. Making a policy that restricts them from doing this now is an attempt to prevent them from making the multicultural events that can make our campus shine brighter, and be better.

Anything you would like to add?

As a queer student of color, I understand how a lack of diversity impacts individuals and prevents coalitions from being made. I know the USG is an organization that could use some work on in terms of this, but I can promise to continue focusing on getting marginalized students within those spaces in order to continue making the USG an organization for all. I am excited to get started on this, but I need your help. Let’s do this, together while making sure we make our voices matter this election.  You cannot be seeking to resolve issues like diversity and inclusivity without actively engaging with marginalized communities—this is important even when campaigning is done.


Adam Burstain, Vice President for Student Organizations

Do you support giving more funding to Multicultural Council (MCC) and Gender and Sexuality Advisory Council (GSAC) organizations?

Absolutely. These organizations play such pivotal support roles in the lives of the students they represent. I have personally witnessed how hard these students work to push the small budgets they have to the last cent in order to make an impact on the culture of this campus. I am excited to see what these organizations could do with a larger budget and how they can bring Tulane closer to the inclusive ideal it aspires to be

Do you support the list of demands published by the Black Student Union and Students Organizing Against Racism in 2015? https://www.change.org/p/tulane-university-tulane-black-student-union-s-list-of-demands

These demands are all very reasonable. Tulane should not drag its feet on these issues but rather go further than expected and be a trailblazer and example for other universities. This would help alleviate the racial tension created on campus by some of Tulane’s policies, explicit or otherwise.

Do you plan on talking to leaders of MCC and GSAC orgs to address issues of marginalization?

I want to hear all of the ideas from the various leaders of MCC and GSAC and what they are looking for in USG as they are valued members of the constituency and some of the most motivated and involved students. It can be tough to walk the line between representation and tokenization at times, but I feel as though we can work to resolve some of the more systemic issues involving representation without following this flawed faux diversity mentality of “one of each”.

How does intersectionality relate to your experience on campus?

Outside of personally having friends who are within intersectionality and having learning about intersectionality change the way I understand their experience, I also want for intersectionality to be more understood on the campus. I feel like it is lacking in the amount that students experience and I would love to see the creation or expansion of intersectionality organizations.

What will you do to improve the lives of students of color at Tulane and make this campus safe and welcoming for all students?

SOAR and the Black Student Union did a great job in laying out a framework for how Tulane could improve the culture on campus as it regards to students of color. I personally would help guide USG to hold the Tulane administration’s feet to the fire and make them understand that this is something that all students on campus are demanding. In particular, I found increasing the amount of people of color in teaching, recruiting, and advising positions to be particularly important, as it encourages students of color to feel more included at Tulane.

Do you believe students of color and of marginalized backgrounds should have safe spaces on campus?

It is extremely important that Tulane has a safe space in order to make sure marginalized students have a place to voice their opinions without fear of harassment. These spaces can be the foundation for real change on campuses and have been shown to be catalysts for social progress.

Do you support a physical expansion of the O?

I am not personally opposed to expansion of the O, however I would rather prefer to see the hiring of more faculty members of the O. I think the O’s faculty have a greater beneficial impact on the students and organizations underneath the O than a larger space would. Ideally, we would be able to accomplish both.

Do you believe sexual violence is an issue at Tulane?

The statistics do not lie. Sexual violence is a very real issue at Tulane that has most likely affected many people you know, I know it has affected several of my friends. The numbers are staggering even without considering the rate of people who do not feel comfortable reporting acts of sexual violence. I am proud of Tulane’s participation in the climate survey and organizations on campus that are taking the first steps to solving this issue.

What have you done in your time at here to offer support/raise awareness for survivors of sexual aggression and what steps will you take to ensure their protection?

During the budgetary period last year, I strongly advocated for the increase of SAPHE’s budget during the USG senate meeting. On a smaller scale, I have helped several of my friends deal with their own personal instances of sexual violence and help recommend them to the proper counseling and support systems. I also served as a large advocate of the climate survey, getting several of my friend groups to take the time to sit down and fill it out.

Do you believe mental health services should be expanded on campus?

The current wait times for mental health services on campus is not acceptable and results in people deciding not to seek care. Several friends have had mental health issues and had to sit around on their hands waiting for care. Even though the current system of support is strained they are still not able to reach everyone as the culture on campus in our nation is to avoid or push away the idea of a mental health issue. I want to see a two-pronged approach of increasing number of mental health faculty and an increased outreach from both NAMI and the administration to destigmatize the issue.

Do you support the policy/funding proposal to provide transportation to off-campus healthcare appointments?

I am a supporter of this idea and the legislation representing it currently in Senate. I will continue to fight and advocate for this bill until it is enacted in a sustainable way. This will work hand-in-hand with the expansion of on campus services.

Do you support expanding student options for birth control and abortion on and off campus?

In light of the new policies that may be implemented by the current White House administration, Tulane must work hard to provide options for birth control and abortion to students as much as they can. Students deserve control of their reproductive rights and sufficient access to those rights, in part to ensure that they can continue their education.

Do you believe that Tulane’s service learning program is sufficient for having a lasting, positive, progressive impact on our city?

The service learning is a good idea in principle, but loses some of its benefits in practice. Too many of these service learning projects are merely time-wasters to reach the 20 hours. I would encourage more of what CPS does with the public service internships, in which students can make a real and meaningful connection to the community on an individual basis.

Have you taken an LGBTQ 101 or Trans 101 training since coming to Tulane, or something equivalent?

Earlier this semester I attended a very informative Trans 101 training led by the wonderful Senator Caroline Scott. It was actually a really great experience that helped me understand the trans community in a way I hadn’t before. I wish more students would seize this opportunity.

Have you attended an Undoing Racism workshop in the past? If no, will you commit to attending the fall workshop?

I have not yet attended an Undoing Racism workshop, but I intend to attend one in the fall semester regardless of whether I end up on Executive Board or not.

Do you support mandatory trainings focused on inclusivity for members of USG?

I was in favor of the bill when it was discussed and voted on in USG last year. These trainings are necessary in order to make sure that senators and other members of USG are able to represent all of their constituents.

Do you plan on strongly supporting and doing your best to attend events led by MCC and GSAC orgs for the duration of your term?

Absolutely, these people would be members of my constituency and they put on wonderful events. Not only have I learned a lot from the events I have been to, but they’re also just generally enjoyable and filled with great people.

What resources do you believe need to be expanded for minority students?

The greatest resource that is lacking for minority students on this campus is events from the administration celebrating the minority population on campus. The administration celebrates many other groups of students, but most if not all of the large events for minority students had to be created and run by students without help from the administration. I think it would mean a lot to the minority on campus to know that the administration is vocally behind them, supports them and values them.

Do you support the Sodexo catering policy for providing food that creates a monopoly that specifically hurts multicultural organizations?

I am not in favor of any kind of limitation on the student organizations that would force them to use options that are less beneficial. Student organizations should be able to choose where they want their food catered from.

Do you believe that multicultural organizations should have the ability to have events off campus if they wish?

I think it is important to encourage events to be held on campus where they can be most impactful on Tulane and the student community. However, if the event falls underneath the purpose of those organizations and helps them achieve that purpose, they should have that choice.

Anything you would like to add?

I would love to see an expansion of the co-programming fund, given the success that MCC and GSAC groups found in using it this year. I think it provides a great opportunity to unify those communities and convey their messages to others on campus.

If any members of these organizations or any students that would wish to talk to me about the issues or to find out more about my platform please reach out to me at [email protected] I’d love to come to your organization’s meeting and discuss with you regardless if I get elected or not.


Julien Bourgeois, Vice President for Student Organizations

Do you support giving more funding to Multicultural Council (MCC) and Gender and Sexuality Advisory Council (GSAC) organizations?

Yes.

Do you support the list of demands published by the Black Student Union and Students Organizing Against Racism in 2015? https://www.change.org/p/tulane-university-tulane-black-student-union-s-list-of-demands

I agree with most of the demands, especially the segments on education and support services. I also support shuttle services offered for our Sodexo and DTZ workers.

Do you plan on talking to leaders of MCC and GSAC orgs to address issues of marginalization?

Yes. I am excited that my position gets to interact closely with these orgs, and will do so. I want to have diverse opinions in the council I will head as VPSO, and I will serve as an avenue for students in these orgs to address issues of marginalization by connecting them with senators who can author legislation on their behalf. We need a more diverse representation of our student body, and I want to work together to make that happen.

How does intersectionality relate to your experience on campus?

Intersectionality on Tulane’s campus has really allowed me to appreciate the differences between all people. People of all races, classes, genders, and sexualities from across the world help to make our campus the melting pot it is. And while we need to improve in many areas, Tulane is at the forefront of encouraging intersectionality and diversity, and should continue to do so.

What will you do to improve the lives of students of color at Tulane and make this campus safe and welcoming for all students?

As VPSO I am tasked with insuring students of diverse backgrounds have a fair, representative, and responsive voice by working directly with organizations that are spaces of support and welcoming for all students. To improve safety and inclusivity, I will work directly with the heads of representative organizations to support our shared view that the University and its student body must be more welcoming by encouraging the creation and continued backing of representative orgs, by serving as a liaison between these organizations and the USG to promote progress, and ultimately by promoting the inclusive beliefs and ideals of our students to normalize a culture of equality and mutual support in my actions as a representative and leader. Specifically, in my time on the Student Body Administrative Council, I have seen the creation of a Co-Programming fund earmarked for usage by GSAC and MCC organization. The fund started as $10,000 and quickly grew to over $20,000 in its first year. A cornerstone of my plan as VPSO would be to not only restrict large portions of this funding for GSAC and MCC, but to grow the value of the Co-Programming as much as possible by working with the VPF of USG. Additionally, my time on SBAC has helped me create a solid and supportive working relationship with both Council Chair Dala and Council Chair Worku. Continuing to support their initiatives will be fundamental throughout my term. I think USG heard the call for increased representation loud and clear during the 19th Senate, and I believe that continuing VPSO Hancock’s work on increase voting power and representation power within Senate is critical to maintaining progress towards a more representative USG.

Do you believe students of color and of marginalized backgrounds should have safe spaces on campus?

Absolutely. I think that student organizations are not only representative bodies, but should also function as safe spaces for members, such that a sense of support and inclusivity can be always present therein. I hope to encourage that sense in all organizations, especially for those that represent students of color and marginalized backgrounds. I will also ensure that my council and the USG itself is a safe space for all issues and concerns.

Do you support a physical expansion of the O?

I do support a physical expansion of the O, as I believe it is an important component of increasing Tulane’s appeal to students of diverse backgrounds and also an integral part of ensuring support, advocacy, and appreciation for all people at Tulane. For the amount of ever-growing communities that depend on the O for support and call the space their headquarters, a physical and financial expansion of the O seems fundamental.

Do you believe sexual violence is an issue at Tulane?

Yes. Sexual violence is an issue at Tulane, and I fully support students working to both bring the issue to light and combat it. I’m currently working with Not on My Campus to bring their message to all students.

What have you done in your time at here to offer support/raise awareness for survivors of sexual aggression and what steps will you take to ensure their protection?

I have helped two friends who have dealt with sexual aggression individually. I am OneWave and QPR certified, and work through my actions alone to promote a safe and supportive campus. Also, I want to use my position in USG to advance this issue especially by normalizing the conversation and reducing the stigma surrounding the victims of sexual aggression, and I will interact closely with organizations like SAPHE to help accomplish this. In addition, I think an interesting and alarming issue is the amount of men who participated in the campus climate survey. As VPSO it would be my job to work with organizations in order to produce any necessary legislation on the USG side of advocacy. For sexual assault, one of the most pressing issues challenges our institution, this advocacy and collaboration would probably come in the form of advocacy with and for SAPHE whether it be financial advocacy (see the finance debate for SAPHE from two years ago) or a large-scale USG partnership with SAPHE for a round of marketing or programming.

Do you believe mental health services should be expanded on campus?

Yes, mental health services should be expanded on or off campus. I think our upcoming legislation about shuttle services to clinics is a great way to enhance mental health services. Also, as a student body, we must work to continue to understand how common mental health issues are, and then work to improve care, not only by pushing for systematic improvements, but also serving as resources for others, which is what I intend to do. An interesting issue facing CAPS in its current form is the representation of its current staff members. Though we cannot assume one’s racial identity based on the photos of staff on the CAPS website, I think it is reasonable to argue that CAPS needs to redirect staff recruitment efforts to better fill counseling positions with people of color.

Do you support the policy/funding proposal to provide transportation to off-campus healthcare appointments?

Yes, in fact, I am a sponsor on that bill in USG. I think it is imperative that, while we are making these improvements, we also consider the privacy of students’ medical status.

Do you support expanding student options for birth control and abortion on and off campus?

Yes.

Do you believe that Tulane’s service learning program is sufficient for having a lasting, positive, progressive impact on our city?

No, I believe to some ends the current service learning system is unresponsive to the city’s needs and perpetuates the beliefs in some, particularly white, students that they have the jurisdiction to both formulate resolutions to problems in areas of the city that are not theirs spaces and execute and effectuate these (probably unresponsive) resolutions without prior consultation of the communities. That said, I find some programs to be equally beneficial to both students and the city, which is the optimal goal. I think it is imperative that students develop a sense of belonging to New Orleans spurred by a desire to give back, which many programs do, while leaving a positive impact. Some examples are clean-up projects, Top Box, and tutoring. Having tutored at a local high school and interned for Top Box, I have seen the benefit that arises from providing healthy food options as well as teaching the next generation. However, I am also aware of programs that are less substantial in impact, and I think the university should work to find programs that truly affect all involved.

Have you taken an LGBTQ 101 or Trans 101 training since coming to Tulane, or something equivalent?

I have attended a class similar to LGBTQ 101 as a staff member at Reily Rec Center. I would love to attend one of the aforementioned programs in the future, and I commit to attending.

Have you attended an Undoing Racism workshop in the past? If no, will you commit to attending the fall workshop?

I have not. I will attend the program in the fall.

Do you support mandatory trainings focused on inclusivity for members of USG?

Absolutely.

Do you plan on strongly supporting and doing your best to attend events led by MCC and GSAC orgs for the duration of your term?

Especially as VPSO, I want to be knowledgeable of all orgs as best I can. I am definitely interested in attending these events and do strongly support the missions of both MCC and GSAC orgs.

What resources do you believe need to be expanded for minority students?

As discussed extensively above, the O, the Co-Programming fund, and CAPS accessibility all need to be expanded. Of these three resources, I can most directly influence the Co-Programming Fund. I think this fund is a cornerstone to the programming and cultural expression avenues of MCC organizations and I can fight for its expansion.

Do you support the Sodexo catering policy for providing food that creates a monopoly that specifically hurts multicultural organizations?

No, absolutely not. I think the policy is outdated and unresponsive. I believe that during my time as VPSO I will be able to fight for an expansion of the exception policy that Sodexo currently has (which allows organizations to bring in outside food) to grant specific deference and priority to MCC organizations. Additionally, I am knowledgeable of recurring events hosted by the MCC annually that I would work to be specifically and automatically exempt from the restrictive Sodexo policy. I pledge that I, in partnership with the multicultural council chair, will work to resolve this inhibitory policy.

Do you believe that multicultural organizations should have the ability to have events off campus if they wish?

Yes.

Anything you would like to add?

I appreciate the opportunity to answer your questions! Please feel free to contact me for any further questions or comments. Thanks!


Laura Anne Bartusiak, Vice President for Student Organizations

Do you support giving more funding to Multicultural Council (MCC) and Gender and Sexuality Advisory Council (GSAC) organizations?

Yes.  I realize that these organizations are more than creating a safe community at Tulane, they are about survival at Tulane.  They have not received proper funding or support to hold events or function as a club, and I fully support allocating more of the budget to these organizations.

Do you support the list of demands published by the Black Student Union and Students Organizing Against Racism in 2015? https://www.change.org/p/tulane-university-tulane-black-student-union-s-list-of-demands

Yes, their demands were completely reasonable and feasible to make Tulane a more accepting and welcoming university.

Do you plan on talking to leaders of MCC and GSAC orgs to address issues of marginalization?

Yes, I have already begun meeting with leaders of MCC and GSAC organizations to address issues they see on this campus.  I have found that the main issue many of these organizations face is a lack of funding from USG, so much so that they have had to cut events that they usually hold.  I want to change the way motivation money works so that organizations will have the proper funding to hold events.  I also realize that I am not a marginalized student at Tulane, however, I want to meet with the leaders of these organizations to understand what these students are going through, and work with them to find solutions, not only give the appearance of doing so.  I want to hold monthly town hall meetings to discuss these issues on Tulane’s campus, and work towards finding feasible and timely solutions to issues of marginalization on campus.

How does intersectionality relate to your experience on campus?

Intersectionality affects my experience as a woman on this campus every day.  I have seen the issues people of color, sexualities, genders, and abilities are treated on this campus, and how the college experience becomes that much more difficult.  I want to create more resources for students so that everyone is able to enjoy their college experience.

What will you do to improve the lives of students of color at Tulane and make this campus safe and welcoming for all students?

I am running with the intention to make Tulane, its student organizations, and USG a more accepting and inviting place for students of color, different sexual orientations, genders, and those who have been marginalized and ignored on campus whether it be from sexual violence, mental or physical disabilities, or other compounding factors. I personally will make sure this happens by holding monthly town hall meetings to educate the student body, create a safe space for students to voice their concerns, and work with the whole student body to create a timely and feasible solution.  I realize that these organizations are a place where students feel accepted at Tulane, especially when Tulane does not have proper representation for these groups.  These organizations are about surviving at Tulane, and I do not want to make it more difficult for these organizations to hold events or receive the money they need to make sure that they have the proper resources to function.

Do you believe students of color and of marginalized backgrounds should have safe spaces on campus?

Yes.

Do you support a physical expansion of the O?

Yes.

Do you believe sexual violence is an issue at Tulane?

Yes.

What have you done in your time at here to offer support/raise awareness for survivors of sexual aggression and what steps will you take to ensure their protection?

Last year I had Tara Wilson, the president of SAPHE, proxy for me at a USG senate meeting so that she could vote and voice her concerns to increase the budget for SAPHE.  Next year, I would like to work with SAPHE to create a space on this campus that survivors of sexual aggression can go to feel safe and protected in times of need

Do you believe mental health services should be expanded on campus?

Yes, mental health services should be expanded, and adjustments to college culture is necessary to create an accepting environment for all students.

Do you support the policy/funding proposal to provide transportation to off-campus healthcare appointments?

Yes.  I served as Chair of Transportation for CACTUS this past year, and have gotten to work closely with Shuttles and Transportation facilities.  Tulane has the means to provide these services, and I believe that they should so that students are able to experience college without worrying about going to their medical appointments, or be hindered because they can’t attend these appointments without  transportation from Tulane.

Do you support expanding student options for birth control and abortion on and off campus?

Yes.

Do you believe that Tulane’s service learning program is sufficient for having a lasting, positive, progressive impact on our city?

I believe that the service learning program is a step in the right direction, but many times the program fails to provide lasting change while also being an instrument in the white savior complex.  I believe that there needs to be more trainings that students need to go through to be educated on how to enter the New Orleans community, and then the resources need to be provided so that students can continue to perform service, and that it doesn’t stop simply because the class is over.

Have you taken an LGBTQ 101 or Trans 101 training since coming to Tulane, or something equivalent?

I have, and I will attend again to continue to learn and work to create an inclusive environment on campus.

Have you attended an Undoing Racism workshop in the past? If no, will you commit to attending the fall workshop?

I have attended an Undoing Racism workshop, and I will commit to attending one in the fall again.

Do you support mandatory trainings focused on inclusivity for members of USG?

Yes.  Trainings are essential to helps others understand and to create an inclusive environment on campus.

Do you plan on strongly supporting and doing your best to attend events led by MCC and GSAC orgs for the duration of your term?

Yes.  These organizations are integral to understanding the student body at Tulane and the obstacles different students go through every day at Tulane.  I want to understand how to be a better member of the Tulane student body and how I can help.

What resources do you believe need to be expanded for minority students?

Minority students need more support from USG and more active and vocal stands against racism, discrimination and marginalization on campus.  This will be done by holding more town hall for minority and lgbtq+ students so that they can voice their concerns about the climate on campus and work with Tulane administration.  The budgets for MCC and GSAC organizations needs to be increased, as well as allow the holding of off campus events and changing the Sodexo catering policy.

Do you support the Sodexo catering policy for providing food that creates a monopoly that specifically hurts multicultural organizations?

No.  The Sodexo catering policy severely limits multicultural organizations and the ways these organizations celebrate and hold events.  I believe that if Sodexo cannot prepare food that is properly expressive of the culture and needs of an organization, these organizations should be able to cater their own food from other vendors.

Do you believe that multicultural organizations should have the ability to have events off campus if they wish?

Yes.  Tulane does not have the space to hold events for multicultural organizations especially when it comes to the preparation of food or holding events.  All organizations should have the right to hold their events off campus to properly celebrate while still receive funding from USG.

Anything you would like to add?

I have always been committed to Tulane and will continue to be committed to Tulane to ensure the voices of all students are heard and that Tulane is an inclusive environment for all students regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, immigration status, or ability.


Michael Morton, Vice President for Academic Affairs

Do you support giving more funding to Multicultural Council (MCC) and Gender and Sexuality Advisory Council (GSAC) organizations?

Yes. These organizations need more funding to be able to hold better/more events so that their names can be known throughout the student body and more students can become educated on the real issues that these students face.

Do you support the list of demands published by the Black Student Union and Students Organizing Against Racism in 2015? https://www.change.org/p/tulane-university-tulane-black-student-union-s-list-of-demands

Yes. One of these demands that sticks out to me is discontinuing use of the phrase “geographic diversity.” This phrase is extremely problematic in that it writes off students of color and LGBTQ students as negligible, which is far from okay. Boasting students from different locations is not good enough because nearly all universities have students from different parts of the country and world; the University must be held more accountable for its lack of true diversity.

Do you plan on talking to leaders of MCC and GSAC orgs to address issues of marginalization?

Yes; the conversations I have had with DIEC members have been some of the most productive I have experienced, and I plan on meeting with these leaders as often as possible to ensure that I’m being an asset to them. I plan to fully support integration of the idea of the list of LGBTQ students and students of color that was presented in USG 161207 Resolution for Improved Representation of Students of Color.

How does intersectionality relate to your experience on campus?

Intersectionality was first explained to me as a freshman at Tulane, and since then, I really feel like I have been open to seeing different perspectives from students of all different backgrounds. These perspectives have given me a better understanding of how oppression affects people in different ways and how I can be more sensitive to this.

What will you do to improve the lives of students of color at Tulane and make this campus safe and welcoming for all students?

The lack of students of color on USG is appalling. I want to dismantle the hostile environment these students feel in order to bring a more diverse voice to the administration. Making the campus safe and welcoming starts with us. As student leaders on this campus, we MUST be held more accountable for creating a welcoming environment by leading by example. If students do not feel welcome sitting on the voice of the Tulane undergraduate student body whose purpose is to empower them, then they cannot be expected to feel welcome on the campus as a whole.

Do you believe students of color and of marginalized backgrounds should have safe spaces on campus?

Yes. These students must have a support system/space to go; otherwise, we are not a campus that cares about all of its students.

Do you support a physical expansion of the O?

Yes.

Do you believe sexual violence is an issue at Tulane?

Yes. I think one of the best things to happen so far in terms of ending sexual violence at Tulane was the Sexual Misconduct Survey. I cannot wait to see how the University can use the data obtained to create a concrete plan to end sexual violence at Tulane; “appealing” to students by using buzz words is not enough.

What have you done in your time at here to offer support/raise awareness for survivors of sexual aggression and what steps will you take to ensure their protection?

I supported SAPHE receiving more funding when they had an issue with the 2016-2017 budget, which allowed for survivors to have a better resource. I will work wholeheartedly to be a support system for all survivors. I fully support the idea of transportation vouchers to allow sexual assault survivors to attend any appointments or meetings that are a result of a crime against them.

Do you believe mental health services should be expanded on campus?

Yes. Destigmatizing mental health issues would give more people the confidence to get help when needed.

Do you support the policy/funding proposal to provide transportation to off-campus healthcare appointments?

Yes. This proposal is crucial to allowing students to receive the best healthcare possible for their situation.

Do you support expanding student options for birth control and abortion on and off campus?

Yes and no. I am in full support of expanding access and options to birth control both on and off campus and think that expanding access can give more students a peace of mind from a personal and financial standpoint. I cannot, however, support expanding student options for abortions on and off campus because of my personal religious beliefs. I am in no position to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their body, but I cannot support it.

Do you believe that Tulane’s service learning program is sufficient for having a lasting, positive, progressive impact on our city?

No. Many service learning classes involve simply volunteering at a school in the area, which does nothing for the long term except give the students a sense of self-gratification that they “helped” someone. I would love to see students participating in service that helps the environment in New Orleans or even learning about food deserts in the city and working to eradicate them.

Have you taken an LGBTQ 101 or Trans 101 training since coming to Tulane, or something equivalent?

Yes (LGBTQ 101)

Have you attended an Undoing Racism workshop in the past? If no, will you commit to attending the fall workshop?

No and Yes. I have heard great things about the Undoing Racism workshop and have been wanting to attend one since I heard about it.

Do you support mandatory trainings focused on inclusivity for members of USG?

Yes. The training that I went to really showed me how I can be an ally to LGBTQ students on campus. Before attending the training, I was hesitant to ask some questions, but the training was a space in which all questions were accepted and I became MUCH more educated on being an LGBTQ ally.

Do you plan on strongly supporting and doing your best to attend events led by MCC and GSAC orgs for the duration of your term?

Yes.

What resources do you believe need to be expanded for minority students?

I think minority students should have a better academic advising service. An academic advisor is someone that you have an opportunity to become close to and can shape your Tulane experience, and minority students should have an academic advisor that is committed to supporting them and making them feel as welcome as possible by being a safe space.

Do you support the Sodexo catering policy for providing food that creates a monopoly that specifically hurts multicultural organizations?

No. Sodexo’s menu does not represent these multicultural organizations. How are these groups supposed to feel more welcome and represented if they are not even allowed to have their food represent their culture?

Do you believe that multicultural organizations should have the ability to have events off campus if they wish?

Yes.

Anything you would like to add?

I want to be a VPAA for all students. My goal is to unite our students by highlighting what we have in common and the challenges we face as students. I want to be held accountable to this. If you would like me to elaborate on any answers given, you are more than welcome to email me at [email protected] I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have!


Tyler Margaretten, Vice President for Finance

Do you support giving more funding to Multicultural Council (MCC) and Gender and Sexuality Advisory Council (GSAC) organizations?

I support giving more funding to organizations who are A) lacking and B) deserving.  As we navigate Budget Season, I plan on giving increases to these marginalized groups but cannot justify that if an organization has spent $0 in the last two years. They are my priority.

Do you support the list of demands published by the Black Student Union and Students Organizing Against Racism in 2015? https://www.change.org/p/tulane-university-tulane-black-student-union-s-list-of-demands

I’ve read through. I agree with all, noting changes made since the publish date (diversification of admission counselors, halting of the phrase geographic diversity, etc). The only one I disagree with is tuition-wavers for contracted workers. As the undergraduate who sits on the University Senate Budget Review Committee and having seen how overworked our current faculty are, I do not support that. If we can get around the liability issue for Tulane shuttles, I 100% support transportation for contracted workers.

Do you plan on talking to leaders of MCC and GSAC orgs to address issues of marginalization?

Addition to the USG Constitution (article on Finance committee) coming (hopefully) April 4th: “student-at-large Finance Committee members must be specifically advertised to marginalized/underrepresented communities. Yes.

How does intersectionality relate to your experience on campus?

As a Jew from the very conservative/Christian Florida Panhandle, I am connecting to my Judaism like never before. I am planning on getting Bar Mitzvahed this summer in Israel.

What will you do to improve the lives of students of color at Tulane and make this campus safe and welcoming for all students?

I plan on increasing SOAR’s budget as much as we possibly can afford during this budget cycle. They are my #1.

Do you believe students of color and of marginalized backgrounds should have safe spaces on campus?

Yes. Everyone should be comfortable and able to thrive at Tulane.

Do you support a physical expansion of the O?

I support The O moving into a larger and more prominent space on campus. This may take longer and be accomplished well after any of us are still here at Tulane. We need to expand facilities (I’ve reviewed the campus Master Plan with the Campus Architect) so that there is more space for underfunded/overlooked departments. I currently am working on improving the Mosaic Lounge.

Do you believe sexual violence is an issue at Tulane?

Obviously. I’ve seen the statistics – Tulane is higher than the national average. I support Meredith Smith’s work as our new Title IX coordinator and am incredibly proud of our 48% response rate for her survey.

What have you done in your time at here to offer support/raise awareness for survivors of sexual aggression and what steps will you take to ensure their protection?

I am One Wave Bystander Intervention trained. I also plan on placing signage on the fence outside of Greenbaum noting numbers for TUPD, SAPHE, CAPS, 911, etc.

Do you believe mental health services should be expanded on campus?

Yes. I am planning on receiving a reserve request from SHAC soon regarding funding for off-campus medical transportation. I look forward to reviewing that as soon as possible.

Do you support the policy/funding proposal to provide transportation to off-campus healthcare appointments?

See above. Yes. I am a sponsor on the current legislation.

Do you support expanding student options for birth control and abortion on and off campus?

Yes.

Do you believe that Tulane’s service learning program is sufficient for having a lasting, positive, progressive impact on our city?

No. 20 hours is not enough. It should be a 4 year commitment with an organization. 20 hours a year with one place?

Have you taken an LGBTQ 101 or Trans 101 training since coming to Tulane, or something equivalent?

Yes.

Have you attended an Undoing Racism workshop in the past? If no, will you commit to attending the fall workshop?

No. I will commit to planning on going, although it ultimately depends on my schedule.

Do you support mandatory trainings focused on inclusivity for members of USG?

Yes – but I believe it should be expanded. RA training should count. Active Shooter trainings should count.

Do you plan on strongly supporting and doing your best to attend events led by MCC and GSAC orgs for the duration of your term?

It depends. For events where I am welcome, like LatinX Fest or International Food and Music Fest, yes I will. I do not plan on going to LGBT Prom or too many Wednesdays at the O as that is not my space on campus and I do not believe I should attend.

What resources do you believe need to be expanded for minority students?

CAPS groups. Ability to stay in dorms over breaks for international students.

Do you support the Sodexo catering policy for providing food that creates a monopoly that specifically hurts multicultural organizations?

No, but a contract was signed. I have fought this all year long and continue to fight this next year.

Do you believe that multicultural organizations should have the ability to have events off campus if they wish?

I have specified this in the bylaws that are coming to the Senate floor tomorrow (Tuesday, March 14th). My addition notes that all events must be held on campus but the VPF can make exceptions at will. I have and continue to plan to grant exceptions only when the success of the event is hindered due to being on campus. For example, cultural food/decorations not allowed in the LBC will hinder the event. They should be off-campus.

Anything you would like to add?

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Student newspaper serving Tulane University, Uptown New Orleans
Progressive Voter Coalition questionnaire for USG executive board candidates