Students hope for UberEATS arrival in NOLA

Madeleine Swanstrom, Staff Reporter

Given the popularity of Uber and the abundance of good food around Tulane’s campus, many are hoping that UberEATS, a feature on the Uber app, will arrive in the New Orleans area.

The concept of the app is simple. Users open the existing Uber app and select a meal icon. They then choose a meal from the options on the app from local restaurants, and a driver brings it in 10 minutes or less.

Different meals are different prices, but the Uber website states that that options “typically range from $8 to $12.” There is also a flat delivery fee, which can be split like an Uber ride among multiple users.

The feature is currently only available in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Paris, San Francisco, Seattle, Toronto, Washington, D.C. and Austin, Texas. It delivers lunch from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. in every city, and dinner and brunch on the weekends in Los Angeles.

A representative of UberEATS responded by email to the question of when New Orleans residents could expect UberEATS to come to the city.

“To be honest, I am a little shocked that we do not offer EATS in New Orleans at this time; however, if anywhere should get it, I would hope it’s there due to the wealth of historical value not just in the tourist department, but in the restaurant department as well,” the Uber representative said.

Though Uber could not reveal how it chooses which cities to expand to, it did suggest that cities with high demand and unique restaurants are more likely to be chosen.

UberEATS offers menus that are meant to satisfy a variety of tastes and dietary needs. In Austin, Texas, the instant delivery menu for April 2 included a variety of options such as Korean, Mexican, Chinese dishes, barbecue, salads, sandwiches, sushi, gluten-free and vegan.

One dish offered was an “Argentinian-style beef empanada,” that came with fried plaintains, Spanish-style rice, refried pinto beans and salsa for $9. Another was a tuna sushi roll that came with edamame for $8.50. All items included a picture of the meal. The menu changes every day so that frequent users do not tire of the options, according to the company website.

Many restaurants in New Orleans offer delivery. For those that do not, many students use delivery services like NOLA Food Delivery, GrubHub or Couchster, though sometimes the options seem limited.

“Another food delivery app would probably be welcomed by many students,” sophomore Elsa Gruzen said.