Men’s basketball wins two in a row, defeats Memphis 94-87

Redshirt sophomore Cameron Reynolds elevates for a shot during Tulane’s 94-87 overtime win against Memphis on Sunday. The Pearland, Texas native finished the day with 12 points.

Susan Fanelli, Staff Reporter

Tulane men’s basketball (10-16, 3-10 American Athletic Conference) earned a huge win against Memphis (14-11, 5-7 AAC) as the Wave beat the Tigers 94-87 in overtime Saturday afternoon in Devlin Fieldhouse. The win marked the Wave’s second in a row as well as the first time Tulane beat Memphis on its home court in 16 years. This was also the second game in a row for the Wave in which the outcome was decided with extra time.

“I’m extremely proud of our guys. I thought Memphis played a good game, but we rose up to the challenge,” head coach Ed Conroy said. “I think we’re really showing people what a team is, and what a family is.”

It was a closely matched game as Tulane and Memphis traded leads and matched each other point for point. There were 14 ties and 17 lead changes over the course of the game.

Memphis opened the second half on a 9-3 run, reclaiming the lead after the Wave went into the intermission up 45-41; Tulane was then forced to burn their first timeout before the first media break of second half. The Green Wave quickly recovered and regained the lead 52-51, where it would remain close until the final seconds.

The Green Wave saw four players earn double digit points against Memphis. Sophomore forward Dylan Osetkowski finished with a career high 23 points and also made 13 rebounds, earning him his ninth double-double of the year. 

Redshirt junior guard Malik Morgan also finished the game with 23 points, making five of seven from the 3-point line for the third time this year. Senior guard Louis Dabney finished the game with 17 points, and sophomore guard Cameron Reynolds finished with 12, including a crucial three-pointer that tied the game up in the final seconds of regulation. 

“[The win] means a lot,” Dabney said. “It just shows how good our coaches are and how much work our players put in every day. It’s a great feeling.”

Overall, Tulane was 47 percent on field goal attempts and 70 percent on free throw attempts, well above their season averages.

This is Tulane’s first win against Memphis this year after suffering a 77-65 road loss back in December.

“I think the confidence and the momentum going into this game really helped us,” Osetkowski said. “And hopefully we can keep it going.”

Tulane stays in New Orleans this week to host the Houston Cougars on at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 17 in Devlin Fieldhouse.