Restaurant Week offers New Orleans delicacies on a budget

Tyler Mead, Staff Reporter

One of the most painful ironies of a Tulane student’s life is being surrounded by a culinary paradise and being too broke to afford anything more than Boot pizza.

Luckily, it’s restaurant week. From Sept. 8-14, some of the best restaurants in New Orleans will be serving up multi-course meals for cheap. All week long at participating restaurants, a two course lunch will cost around $20, and three course dinners will cost $39 and under.

Despite our love for Bruff, restaurant week is the perfect chance to voyage out from the cafeteria lines and into some fine dining. All three of Food Network Star Emeril Lagasse’s restaurants will be participating, as well as historic landmarks likes Antoine’s, and even Commander’s Palace.

What better way to impress the parents on visiting weekend than with an extensive knowledge of which restaurant serves the best alligator bisque? Better yet, make parents demand their turn at tasting some lemon and spicy basil butter drum. We have all had breast cancer cookies, but how many people can say they have sampled Emeril’s famous bread pudding?

This is one of the few times of the year where true decadence will be both affordable and available. Do not waste the opportunity get out and try what real New Orleans food is all about.