Professor Profile: Michael Hogg bridges gap between academia, real world

Michael Chen, Associate News Editor

Josh Jessiman | Photography Editor

When one glances at Professor Michael Hogg’s curriculum vitae, it is immediately clear that he has spent a significant portion of his life dedicated to Tulane University. Earning his Bachelor’s degree in economics and history in 1980, Hogg moved on to simultaneously earn his Masters in Business Administration and Juris Doctorate over the next four years, both at Tulane.

“To me, Tulane has always been a positive, impactful force in my life,” Hogg said. “So I feel very committed to the institution and the students that attend it.”

After getting all of his degrees, Hogg got a job in the legal field where he “practiced corporate law, mostly involving banking and the regulatory aspects of banking from an international to national perspective, as well as some insurance work.” But in 2001, Hogg returned to Tulane, the place where he had spent nearly a decade of his life.

When asked why he chose to study at Tulane for all three degrees, Hogg said that he has always had a “really great experience at Tulane … and it’s all been a positive experience.”

As a professor of business law, most of Hogg’s work involves teaching a mixture of undergraduate and graduate classes. Focusing on his interest in “how, from a global perspective, economic systems function and how government intervention and private sector intervention intersect to sort of shape economies from a global perspective,” Hogg teaches courses that center on legal issues that executives would face in managing or running a business and those that involve a mixture of law, risk management and insurance.

For the last two decades, however, Hogg’s role in shaping fellow Tulanians has only grown in size from holding positions such as associate provost for academic affairs and vice president for student affairs. Now associate dean for undergraduate programs, senior professor of practice, area coordinator and faculty athletics representative, Hogg shapes the undergraduate business program of the A.B. Freeman School of Business, serves as a liaison for student services and develops courses that include public service components, while continuing to teach at the same time.

On the side, Hogg researches and writes case studies, which puts a person in the position of a manager that has to solve a problem. Adjunct to his work as a member of the Society for Case Research, Hogg creates a scenario and then produces case notes that suggest model ways of puzzling through the problems.

“I enjoy my job, so I don’t really view it as a lot,” Hogg said. “I think that a lot of faculty members and staff juggle the same thing. Part of being at a university is to understand that you need to be adaptable and flexible.”

While he certainly has a lot on his plate, Hogg spends his free time reading, going horseback riding across the lake, and enjoying music. He states that the favorite part of his day, however, is when he has the chance to teach and spend time with his students.

“I kind of get excited about coming here,” he said. “It wasn’t that I didn’t enjoy all the other things that I have been fortunate to do in my life. I just like this more.”

Hogg’s enthusiasm for teaching indeed shows in his lectures, for many students have raved about his classes, with one going so far as to call him “Superman.”

“If you’re able to engage people, even people that might think differently than you, it creates thoughtful discussions about issues that are important in the business community,” Hogg said. “I think what I try to do is foster an environment where we can foster those discussions.”

As director of the business school’s undergraduate program, Professor Hogg has been able to guide the school’s curriculum into following a denser, but more progressive path. While some have protested against the idea, Hogg’s belief that all students should leave Tulane more internationally focused has stood its ground.

“All these courses fit as part of a mosaic that helps students to have the skills and tools and ability and critical thinking skills to solve business problems,” Hogg said. “The idea is to have a grounding in business to be an effective manager or entrepreneur. All business is international, so that is what is stressed in our majors.”

Many business students have passed by Professor Hogg’s doorstep during their undergraduate career since 2001, and it has never made him feel more accomplished than when he assists students to fulfill the dreams that they have, from helping them get their first job to get into graduate school.

“Helping other people, to me, is one of the most fulfilling things to do in life,” Hogg said.