Krewe Du Fool puts on third April Fool’s Day parade

Hannah Eichelbaum, Staff Reporter

Ashley Chen | Layout Editor

Mardi Gras and St. Patrick’s Day are finally over, meaning parade season has officially come to its end … April fools’!

April Fools’ Day is celebrated like any other occasion in New Orleans – with a parade. On Monday, April 1, Krewe Du Fool will be putting on its third annual April Fools’ Day parade. The theme of the parade is “fools’ gold,” inviting attendees to dress like a fool –  so if you’re not ready to put your Mardi Gras costumes away, here is the perfect opportunity to give them another good run.

This parade is timed perfectly in between the winter season of parades and the spring season of festivals in New Orleans. Founded in 2017, during the parade’s first year it only had 25 participants. Last year, the parade doubled in size, and this year it is expected to grow even larger.

The parade is set to begin at 7 p.m in front of Mimi’s Bar at the corner of Franklin Avenue and Royal Street. The parade follows a route that proceeds down Royal Street until turning left on Elysian Fields Avenue. It winds its way around the Faubourg Marigny, finishing on the corner of Frenchman Street and Chartres Street. Park your friend group anywhere along this route and await the marching fools.

If you feel especially passionate about April Fools’ Day, Krewe Du Fool has openings for new members to be in the parade. All you have to do is show up to the parade early, between 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m., and pay a new member fee of $75. It is possible to leave this semester a member of a New Orleans krewe, securing you ultimate bragging rights. Current members are invited to attend the Fools’ Ball, where the fool king and queen will be elected at 8 p.m. on March 29.

We can all take a note from the spirit of the Krewe Du Fool parade and embrace our sillier sides this April Fools’ Day.By enjoying the goofy festivities of April Fools’ Day is, you can set a lighthearted tone for the rest of the semester in the midst of a typically stressful time due to approaching finals.