NOLA News in Brief

Kila Moore, News Editor

Final exams are quickly approaching, and summer is not too far behind. While the streets warm up with the New Orleans heat, read about the latest news affecting the city.

Antoinette Love, a senior at the International High School of New Orleans, received 115 acceptance letters from colleges and universities across the country. In addition, Love was awarded more than $3.7 million in scholarships. Though she is set to hit the road to visit several colleges in the upcoming weeks, Love plans to make her final decision by May 1. She intends to major in elementary education and become an educator.

The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival will be celebrating its 50-year run from April 26 to May 5. The event, which first took place in 1970, now attracts between 400,000 and 500,000 attendees, and organizers of the festival estimate that it brings in $300 million into the New Orleans economy. Several national artists are slated to hit the stage this year, including Katy Perry, Diana Ross, J Balvin and habitual performer Jimmy Buffett.

The Louisiana Legislature’s Senate Health and Welfare Committee passed a bill to extend foster care services to 21 years of age. Senator Regina Barrow authored the bill, emphasizing that youth who age out of the system at 18 often face difficulties transitioning to adulthood on their own. Currently, 28 states offer foster care for youth between the age of 18 and 21. The bill will be heard by the Finance Committee next.

New Orleans’ City Park greeted four new swans to the city on Thursday. The swans, named Fred, Ginger, Benedick and Beatrice were flown in from Michigan the day before. The park now hosts a total of seven swans, and one of them has a nest.