NOLA News in Brief

From a pizza eating contest to a new design on “I Voted” stickers, the New Orleans area is bustling with activity.

Amy Nankin, News Editor

Tulane students are finishing up their first week of classes, eating at the new Dining Room at the Commons for the first time and braving the extreme heat of New Orleans summers. Outside of the Tulane bubble, however, Lafayette artist Tony Bernard created a new design for “I Voted” stickers for all Louisiana voters, the Eastbank Little League team returned home from the Little League World Series victorious, Gambit released results from a “Best of New Orleans 2019” poll and competitive eater Joey Chestnut emerged victorious at the inaugural Fat Boy’s Pizza Eating Contest in Metairie, Louisiana. 

In 2016, the Louisiana Secretary of State’s office commissioned artwork for the state’s “I Voted” stickers, and the idea became an instant hit. Prompted by popular demand, a new design was created for the gubernatorial elections this year. The design features artist Tony Bernard’s rendition of the state bird and seal, named “In Love with Louisiana.” It is now hanging in the Paul and Lulu Hilliard University Art Museum. The stickers will be available to voters during the Oct. 12 primary election and the Nov. 16 general election.  

The River Ridge Little League baseball team returned home victorious after winning the Little League World Series on Sunday. More than 7,000 little league teams from around the world participated in the tournament, but only the middle-schoolers from Riverbank took home the title of world champions. New Orleans residents will give the team a warm welcome with a lively parade complete with 15 floats, bands and dance teams on Saturday. 

Gambit, a New Orleans news website, released results from a readers’ poll on the best places to eat, where to send your child to preschool, which festivals to attend and much more. Tulane University was voted as the best College/University, followed by University of New Orleans and Loyola University in second and third, respectively. 

Competitive eater Joey Chestnut set a new record at the Old Metairie Pizzeria on Saturday. Chestnut took on seven other professional eaters at the inaugural Fat Boys Pizza eating contest, where contestants must eat as many slices of the giant two-foot-long slices of pizza as they can in 10 minutes. Chestnut took home the championship belt by consuming a grand total of 6.5 slices 13 feet of pizza before time was up. 

See previous Nola News in Brief segments here.