Spice up your spooky: Costume shopping in New Orleans

Alex Calloway, Staff Writer

As the most haunted time of the year falls upon the fair city of New Orleans, there is only one thing on many Tulane students’ minds: finding the perfect Halloween costume. While the proliferation of online retailers such as Amazon have rendered the costume hunt easier than ever, many students may still feel the need to explore less conventional options through local businesses. Luckily, as one of the most festive cities in the United States, there is no shortage of costume suppliers in New Orleans. If you are still on the lookout for inspiration for this year’s spooky season, you may want to find a day to stop into some of these Hullabaloo favorites.

1. Miss Claudia’s Vintage Clothing & Costumes – 4204 Magazine St.

If you’re on the hunt for vintage costumes of all kinds, you would be hard-pressed to find a better collection than Miss Claudia’s. Located across the street from Buffalo Exchange, this small-but-mighty shop boasts an impressive catalog of decades-old wigs, clothes and accessories. Though these costumes may sometimes fall on the pricier side, there are few other places that are perfect for a gaudy, sparkly, sequin-filled evening.

1. Southern Costume Company – 951 Lafayette St. 

Located in the Warehouse District, Southern Costume Co. has every cheesy horror movie staple in its eclectic halls. For those feeling adventurous enough to truly go the extra mile this Halloween, Southern has made a name for itself as a reliable renter of film-quality costumes for everything from fire fighters to aliens. 

1. Uptown Costume & Dancewear – 4326 Magazine St. 

Don’t let the name scare you away: while this is a great spot for any dancer’s needs, Uptown is by far the best place to find the core pieces of any Halloween costume. Whether you need steampunk hats, skeleton blazers, Viking helmets or just a good old-fashioned onesie, Uptown will have Tulanians’ backs every weekday for years to come.