2020 Mardi Gras brings celebration, tragedy

Student perspectives of Mardi Gras celebrations

Gabby Abrams, News Editor

The much-anticipated annual Mardi Gras festivities descended on New Orleans this past week in full force, with Tulane students becoming immersed in the culture and celebrations of the city’s centuries-long traditions. The Mardi Gras season begins over a month before Fat Tuesday with various parades around the city, but the largest celebrations take place from Feb. 19-25. 

The festivities began with tragedy, as a woman was run over and killed by a float in the first major parade of the week, Krewe of Nyx. Later the same week a 58-year old man was similarly struck and killed by a parade float at Krewe of Endymion. 

New Orleans Police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson responded to these tragedies by announcing that all tandem floats would be prohibited for the remainder of Mardi Gras 2020. New Orleans officials and Krewe captains will meet Feb. 27 at the Basin Street Station to discuss safety measures for future celebrations. 

For many first-year Tulane students, 2020 marked their first Mardi Gras experience. With the holiday being dubbed “the greatest week-long party of the year,” freshmen students entered the week full of curiosity and expectations. 

Freshman Michelle Mirviss remarked that she was surprised by “the sheer amount of beads thrown at parades and around campus.” 

As Mardi Gras comes to a close, a lull falls over campus as students return to the library and long for the King Cake and beads that next year’s celebration will bring.