Experiencing the NOLA art scene during COVID

Mackenzie Bookamer, Arcade Editor

picture of cloud art exhibit with needles hanging down at a museum
After All / Mending the Sky by Beili Liu is currently featured at the New Orleans Museum of Art.
(Meredith Abdelnour)

New Orleans is a city known for its vibrant culture, which is often shown throughout the numerous art exhibitions in the city. In the wake of COVID-19, however, many museums and galleries have had to adjust their policies in order to follow social distancing guidelines. Below are some opportunities for people to enjoy the unique art scene in New Orleans.

New Orleans Museum of Art

NOMA is offering a variety of options, both virtual and in-person, to experience the art they have to offer. Look through the collection of portraits displayed — along with artistic commentary —  through a ​virtual visit or ​reserve tickets​ in advance to visit the museum in person.

The museum is also hosting a virtual concert by cellist Helen Gillet on Jan. 31 at 6 p.m., during which she will perform in one of the museum’s exhibitions. More information can be found ​here​.

Newcomb Art Museum

If you are looking to stay on campus, Tulane’s own Newcomb Art Museum is open for current students, faculty and staff from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Wednesdays and Fridays or by appointment. They also offer virtual programming for many of the exhibitions. More information on these offerings can be found by signing up for their e-newsletter​.

Ogden Museum of Southern Art

Located in the Warehouse District of New Orleans, the Ogden Museum of Southern Art is renowned for its extensive collection of historic southern art pieces. They currently offer limited in-person showings, and you may reserve your ticket ​here or purchase upon arrival. They also offer a robust lineup of virtual programs​ that anyone can participate in, including free events, but pre-registration is required.

Every first Thursday of the month at noon, they are offering a “Hey Y’all Art Talk” series that explores the significance of specific artists on the historic Southern art scene. The upcoming talk will focus on Benny Andrews on Feb. 4, and you can register ​here​.