Three ways to stay active in New Orleans during pandemic

Jude Papillion and Harrison Simon

Have you completed our previous list of activities to do during the pandemic and are looking for new activities that will get your blood pumping while also staying safe from COVID-19? The Hullabaloo is showing you the best ways to stay active and in shape while also following city and state guidelines regarding the coronavirus. 

Golf

If you are looking to hit the greens, New Orleans has several great golf courses, such as the nearby Golf Club at Audubon Park. With options to play either nine or the full 18 holes, this par-62 course is a short 4,220 yards from the tips. However, the Audubon Park course does not have a driving range.

The closest public driving range to Tulane’s campus is located at New Orleans City Park on Palm Drive. Bayou Oaks at City Park on Filmore Avenue features 36 golf holes spanning two courses. The North Course at City Park spans 5,740 yards from the tips and is the cheaper option out of the two City Park courses. Opened in 2017, the beautifully maintained South Course at City Park measures 7,302 yards from the tips and features 18 holes of championship golf.

TPC Louisiana, home of the PGA Tour’s Zurich Classic, is located just across the Mississippi River in Avondale, Louisiana. The par-72 course, designed by Pete Dye, beautifully represents its wetland habitat. TPC features five massive ponds and over 100 bunkers to challenge golfers of every skill level. The course measures 7,400 yards from the PGA Tour level tees. 

The flagstick on the 18th green at TPC Louisiana. (Jude Papillion)

Located about 13 miles from campus is the English Turn Golf and Country Club. English Turn is a Jack Nicklaus-signature par-72 course featuring many challenging greens, large bunkers and water hazards on 17 of the course’s 18 holes. English Turn opened in 1988 and was the host of New Orleans’ PGA Tour event every year except 2005 until it relocated to TPC Louisiana in 2007. 

Tennis

Another option to stay active during the pandemic is to grab a racquet and head to the tennis court with some friends. Tulane’s tennis courts are located along Janet Yulman Way in front of the Reily Student Recreation Center. The courts operate on the same hours as the Reily Center and reservations must be made on the Campus Recreation website prior to hitting the courts. Reservations are also available to use Tulane facilities to play badminton, racquetball, pingpong, and everyone’s favorite sport that’s also a food — squash!

If you are looking to escape campus for a tennis match, you can venture across St. Charles Avenue to Audubon Park. The park has 10 clay tennis courts and, due to COVID-19, the courts are open Wednesday through Sunday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at a rate of $14 per hour. 

Another option is to play tennis at City Park. The City Park Tennis Center is one of the premier tennis centers in the region and features 26 lighted courts and a practice court with two backboards. The reservation rate for the City Park courts is $20 and can be made by calling the clubhouse. If you have never played tennis or would like to sharpen your skills, both Audubon Park and the City Park Tennis Center offer lessons.

Running

If these sports aren’t your style, fear not! All you need is a good pair of shoes and some open space to go on a delightful run through the beautiful sites and sounds of the Big Easy. Audubon Park’s 1.8 mile loop is a great place to run by yourself or with friends, with the park operating from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.

If you don’t feel like running through the park, just grab your phone and water and hit the streets. A good run is a great way to stay fit, explore the city, catch up on your favorite music or podcast and can really put your mind at ease after a stressful day. 

So what are you waiting for? Get outside and do something!