Best romantic films for Valentine’s Day

Meredith Abdelnour, Arcade Editor

hearts coming out of a tv screen
Ashley Chen

If you’re single on Valentine’s Day, you could spend the day lamenting your loneliness and scowling at every cute couple picture you see, or you could get yourself a heart-shaped cookie and make the most of it. Whether you’re celebrating with your friends or significant other, romantic movies are always a fun way to escape reality for a few hours and dedicate yourself to the miscommunications of attractive 20-somethings. 

About Time” (2013)

Directed by Richard Curtis

For those who get bored with the classic will they/won’t they of most romance movies, “About Time” stretches beyond romantic relationships, telling a story of family, loss and love. With a uniquely British sense of humor offsetting the serious moments, this film will have you crying one moment and laughing the next. The movie’s science-fiction twist only enhances the powerful emotions present in the film, making it one you’ll be thinking about for weeks to come. 

10 Things I Hate About You” (1999)

Directed by Gil Junger

Based on William Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew,” this film is the epitome of the American high school comedy. Although you may be a few years out from your high school days, this movie will bring you right back to pushing through crowded hallways, forgetting your locker combination and struggling to find a date to the prom. The chemistry between the central couple is undeniable and Kat’s ending speech will have even the most cynical wiping a tear. 

Edward Scissorhands” (1990)

Directed by Tim Burton

“Edward Scissorhands” might not be the first film you think of when you think of romantic movies, but this eccentric film might surprise you. Johnny Depp stars as Edward Scissorhands, a scientific creation with scissors for hands, who is taken under the wing of a suburban family. Depp and Winona Ryder are fantastic in the central roles, and the distinctive style of Tim Burton is clear throughout the film and its design. 

Before Sunrise” (1995)

Directed by Richard Linklater

Although traveling has come to a halt due to the pandemic, “Before Sunrise” is the perfect way to live vicariously through strangers on a screen, as characters Jesse and Céline spend a whirlwind night together exploring the beautiful city of Vienna. This unconventional film gathers much of its impact from the fact that the pair will likely not see each other past this one night, increasing the gravity of the interactions between the characters. Focused mainly on the central duo’s conversations, this film highlights the beauty of ordinary people.